Stuff from the Asian grocery...

silva

Forum Legend
Reaction score
We have a full size Asian (Chinese mostly) grocery. I don't know anyone to go with, and the employees aren't very fluent in English.
I would quess this might be common enough to start a thread, since it's often mentioned.
'
I found vinegars made from sugar cane. Never heard of that?
Another was from coconut.
Has anyone tried these? Is the sugarcane somewhat sweet?

Another thing I want to try is the coconut gel.
What to do with that?

What I usually buy:

Longbeans.
baby bok choy
House brand organic tofu (only if I don't any from Trader Joes!)
Vacuum pack silken tofu
Shelf stable organic soymilk- usually 2 for 1
Siracha
dried mango
miso pastes
and today bought Kikkoman teriyaki-original. I obsessed over the triple ginger!
fresh ginger
baby eggplant

I don't have much to contribute to the discussion, except to say we were in an Asian grocery store in the US this summer where I saw a whole assortment of vegetables and I couldn't name a single one! So in other words, it was very exotic, I guess!

I mostly go to my local Asian market to buy sushi nori. I also get different kinda of noodles and mushrooms there, but it's so hard to find packaged ingredients that aren't loaded with preservatives and MSG.

Kikkoman soy sauce made to be sold in Asian countries is excellent - a whole different thing than the Kikkoman made to be sold in America. I think that it's overall my favorite soy sauce. I buy that, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, fresh ginger, dried mushrooms, tofu, rice, noodles, and many other things in the Chinese market.

The Indian market is great for legumes and many different spices.

Kikkoman soy sauce made to be sold in Asian countries is excellent - a whole different thing than the Kikkoman made to be sold in America. I think that it's overall my favorite soy sauce.

That's interesting! I don't live near an asian market, but when I happen to be in another town with one I try to make a trip there. I've bought purple sweet potatoes (which are amazing and so much sweeter than orange), chopsticks, rice paper wrap rolls, various flavors of soy jerky, and noodles. I would buy more things if I knew how to read the labels.

That's interesting! I don't live near an asian market, but when I happen to be in another town with one I try to make a trip there. I've bought purple sweet potatoes (which are amazing and so much sweeter than orange), chopsticks, rice paper wrap rolls, various flavors of soy jerky, and noodles. I would buy more things if I knew how to read the labels.

Yes, the purple sweet potatoes are amazing.

Reactions: thefadedone
I'm lucky enough to live within a few miles of a large Korean market, a nice Vietnamese one, and a small Chinese store. I buy a lot of what was mentioned above, plus any unknown fruits and veggies that aren't spicy. And nori, sushi rice, and I love the tofu. Plus these yummy sweet rice balls with beans inside. I wish I could read the package labels, but the Korean market has some English-speakers that like to help. I don't trust many of the packaged foods though because of the fish issue, and I'm sensitive to msg. It is fun to find new foods. :)

I also have a local Indian market. Actually, there is more than one in my area, but the best one is where I buy my tahini cheap ($3 for a 16oz jar) and dried beans (usually $2.50-$3 for the 2lb size bags) and all sorts of spices (most the 7oz bags are like $3.50, if I remembering correctly.) I also occasionally buy corn meal and wheat farina there. They recently renovated and added a lot wider selection and new items. I need to go browse again, methinks.

Hispanic markets are also good places to pick up beans, rice, spices, egg free noodles, etc., for very reasonable prices.

Our Safeway has an Asian section and I think the IGA has an Asian shelf. :p

Boy, you do live in the middle of nowhere. :p At least I have a college town less than an hour away, which is where the ethnic markets are located.

Most of the Asian markets here are Korean-owned, and I'm not too keen on Korean food. There is one fairly large one that has nice sections for other Asian cuisines, though. I go to that one, mainly for soba noodles, mabo tofu sauce, jasmine rice, and jasmine tea. It's also the best place for spring roll wrappers, nori, and wakame. I always mean to get miso paste there, but there are about a zillion kinds on the shelf and every time I look at them I get really intimidated and end up not buying any.
When I remember, I also stock up on canned coconut milk. (It's only about ten cents a can more at the regular store just down the street for me, so with gas prices what they are, not worth a trip just for that.)

There is an Indian grocery at which I've purchased hair henna; I need to try buying bulk lentils and chickpeas there, though I never think of it until after I'm driving away. There is also a Middle Eastern grocery nearby that I might check for yellow lentils and/or chickpeas. I've also been told to buy pomegranate molasses there, but I haven't a clue what I would do with it.