Study: Milk may not be very good for bones or the body

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Milk is often touted as one of nature's most perfect foods -- and for good reason. It contains many essential nutrients and in particular, the high calcium content has been touted as crucial for good bone health when fortified with vitamin D, as it is in the United States.

But a new study from researchers in Uppsala University in Sweden suggests that consuming more milk could actually be associated with higher mortality and bone fractures in women and higher mortality in men...

Study: Milk may not be very good for bones or the body - The Washington Post

And as expected, the dairy industry is scrambling to do damage control.

Swedish Study Reignites Milk Nutrition Debate - The Cattle Site

But this study also showed that milk derivatives (cheese, yogurt, etc) reduce morality and reduce hip fracture rates so its not the dairy, in general, but something specific in milk or perhaps milk consumption is a just a marker for other lifestyle factors. Maybe people that drink more milk eat more cookies :D

I think the association between milk and good bone health has been put in question by a number of studies, but then again, this association was never rooted in science anyways....it was marketing.

but something specific in milk or perhaps milk consumption
According to Michaelsson, the results suggest that more research is needed to understand whether a specific component of milk -- a sugar called D-galactose-- might play a role in his findings.

D-galactose is known to induce aging in animals, and is linked to increased oxidative stress and inflammation.

is it that sugar, which doesn't appear in cheese?

is it that sugar, which doesn't appear in cheese?
It could be.....but I wouldn't discount milk consumption being a marker for other lifestyle factors. Its interesting that cheese, despite being high in saturated fat,was associated with better outcomes. Perhaps it was the protein? Its becoming clear that marginal protein intake promotes poor bone health.

Milk consumption could promote disease, we'll have to see, but at the very least we know that it doesn't promote good bone health as decades of marketing has stated. Yet to this day nutritional textbooks, at least those in the west, still emphasize milk consumption....especially for children.

The article quotes the leading author as saying : "I've looked at fractures during the last 25 years. I've been puzzled by the question because there has again and again been a tendency of a higher risk of fracture with a higher intake of milk,” said the study's lead author Karl Michaelsson, a professor at Uppsala University.

Now how is that us vegans who do not necessarily have a PhD in the subject know exactly WHY milk causes osteoperosis and that a leading professor does not. I think this just shows that the dairy industry has managed to screw up facts for so long, telling their lies with the backing of a billion dollar industry.

Obviously milk is dangerous for health. We all know that don't we ?

(Of course, quotes are often taken out of context in articles and perhaps the guy does know the answer to the question.)

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots