Study confirms cats know their names

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Mrs. Summer sent me this interesting article about a cleverly designed Japanese study to figure out if cats recognise the names we give them:
So researchers in Japan set out to answer the question: Can a cat understand the difference between its name and any other random word that sounds like it?

Research on cats is slim compared to research on dogs. That may be because cats can't be bothered to participate in the experiments. [...]
Source: Cats Don't Fetch, But Know Their Names As Well As Dogs, Researchers Say (NPR.org, 4. April, 2019)

Reactions: Chryssie
A thought regarding the question about whether cats not just recognise, but also actually identify with the names we give them:

Is it fair to expect that a person / being should identify very strongly with a name they themselves is unable to pronounce?

Reactions: Val
A thought regarding the question about whether cats not just recognise, but also actually identify with the names we give them:

Is it fair to expect that a person / being should identify very strongly with a name they themselves is unable to pronounce?
They say that cats only learn certain combinations of sounds which later associate with their owner's commands to come over, to eat, to sleep, to go away, to take their place, etc., etc. Intonation means quite a lot though, according to our own experience. Cat's name pronounced in an angry voice associates with taboo of some sort. His name pronounced in a tender voice makes him proud and makes him (subconsciously) show affection to owners. Etc...
But in fact, they recognize names and understand requests even without related intonation. They are a lot smarter than we're used to think.
Our cat Kuzya was an expert in russian language.:p He was the smartest kitty i've ever seen.:cat: When another 2 female cats appeared in our house, i made an experiment, involving all of them. Kuzya seemed to understand better what i wanted. So: i imitated cats' sounds with my voice and made certain movements, because i'd seen that when they did something, they accompanied their actions with exact "words" and "phrases". I started imitating their language, and they began to respond.:woo: When i was making mistakes, Kuzya and Lucy corrected me!:kitty:I'm sure: if there are experts who understand birds' language and who talk to birds, and birds talk back,- then why not to try to understand cat language... Because it's an entire language.:angel:
Btw... It occured to me,- talking to nightingales.:innocent: They were talking back! That was at daytime, beneath the shrubs on river Izhora banks, in a pretty rural place, called "Old Kolpino". It's an abandoned part of our town (after WWII), and one can meet birds and animals there, as well as anywhere outside the town.
Eeeh... Sorry for the offtopic:D: i suspect, i just miss being outside and communicating with living creatures (besides humans, lol).

Last edited:
Stella is the only one who seems to know her name. It could because I call her name like this...only softer and more high pitched, lol. Steeeelllllaaaa!

Reactions: Val
Who cares if they know their names? I think it's silly that anyone would ever even try to do behavioral tests on cats. They're so mercurial and so rarely cooperative. You really can't have any expectations with cats.

My cats know their names but if I said "Bug" or "Hug" instead of "Pug" I'm not sure the cat would know the difference.

Cats can be trained. My cats have all been indoor for a while now and they imitate my two dogs now!

My husband eats his dinner and the dogs sit around him waiting for scraps. One of my dogs can beg (I didn't teach him that, it must have been at a former home) and the cats have learned to get up on their back legs and beg too.:lol:

They don't try this behaviour with me. They know who the leader of the pack is in this house.:p

Cats don’t fetch? Not true. Joon loves to play fetch with her favorite toys.

:D I had a cat that would fetch too.

Reactions: KLS52