Soup stock

Alexia

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I wonder why people use chicken stock for vegetable soup still? This applies to homemade and canned soup. I read the labels and in the US they label it as vegetarian vegetable soup, as many vegetarian soups are made with chicken stock. It puzzles me why anyone would do this?

I have also found this in restaurants where they use it for vegetable or minestrone soup. Even when I visited a friend she made vegetable soup and afterwards told me she used chicken stock. There are so many vegetable stock cubes out there now, so why don't they use them?

I see many vegetarians eating chicken.. it seems to be a pretty forgiving label. I don't get that either though. I personally don't use anything, I found all of it completely pointless when the veggies themselves make the most amazing flavours depending on what you're using. And if you need stock, it's so easy to make on your own without all that added salt and whatever else is in there.

I personally do not understand how you could call yourself a vegetarian if you eat fish or chicken. There was a period in my life when I ate both(but did not eat any other type of meat), but I did not consider myself a vegetarian back then. Now I don't eat any meat or fish, and I almost don't eat any eggs at all, but I don't consider myself to be a 'vegan who eats dairy products and honey' haha.

I personally do not understand how you could call yourself a vegetarian if you eat fish or chicken.

I never said I used chicken stock (if you read the post) my question was why do people use it when the whole dish is vegetables.

I'm not talking about me or vegetarians, but restaurants or anyone who makes a vegetable soup. What I'm talking about is going to a dinner party or restaurant and you ask what stock was used and they say chicken as if it was okay.
There is a general misconception with non-vegetarians that these stocks are okay to use because they are not meat.