Sore Throat-Animal-tested medicine or honey?

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
If you had a sore throat, which would you rather take? Animal-tested medicine or honey?

This is an interesting take on the honey debate. Which is more ethical and more veganly to take? Medicine such as Strepsils (etc) that may have been tested on animals or honey (like in honey and lemon, honey and lemon lozenges, etc)?

This is an interesting take on the honey debate. Which is more ethical and more veganly to take? Medicine such as Strepsils (etc) that may have been tested on animals or honey (like in honey and lemon, honey and lemon lozenges, etc)?
There is a debate term for this type of question. Its called a false dichotomy. Or a false dilemma. Its kind of an A-hole thing to try to do. (and generally not an effective debate strategy anyway) Carnists regularly do this to trip up vegans. I have been around long enough, I think I have seen all of these tricks and I'm pretty sick of them. (sorry, I know form your other posts that you are a good guy). Carnists think they can get vegans to reveal some flaw in their behavior with these kind of tricks. Next, are you are going to put me on a deserted island or a burning building?

Its not an either/or thing. There are other alternatives. I have some Throat Coat tea that works pretty good. that is what I take when I have a sore throat.

I've never found honey to be good for anything!
If not strep, which is bacterial and needs antibiotics, I recommend gargling with warm salt water, as in the video, and also sweat by oil of oregano! I hate the stuff, I hate regular oregano! BUT, it has really helped me when I felt cold or sinus issues, as well as a sore throat. Just a couple drops in some water.

Is Throat coat a Yogi tea? I know Yogi has a throat something my son really liked- it had licorice root and mullien, which were really soothing, kinda slick I guess?

Anyway, it doesn't need to be a choice between two bad options (unless medication is required, like strep)

Ricola is known to be vegan, all herbal cough drops. I found a bag of 10 at the Dollar Tree store. They're really good for that tickly throat, I would guess sore throat too

Reactions: 1956 and Lou
Some interesting facts concerning lozenges/cough drops:

Is Throat coat a Yogi tea?
Yogi makes Throat Comfort. I've never had that. I have never had any Yogi tea. but they make some versions that look like they would be worth trying.
Throat Coat is made by Traditional Medicinals. They seem to be a really good company and check all the boxes. Throat Coat has many of the same ingredients as Throat Comfort.

• Informative
Reactions: 1956
There is a debate term for this type of question. Its called a false dichotomy. Or a false dilemma. Its kind of an A-hole thing to try to do. (and generally not an effective debate strategy anyway) Carnists regularly do this to trip up vegans. I have been around long enough, I think I have seen all of these tricks and I'm pretty sick of them. (sorry, I know form your other posts that you are a good guy). Carnists think they can get vegans to reveal some flaw in their behavior with these kind of tricks. Next, are you are going to put me on a deserted island or a burning building?

Its not an either/or thing. There are other alternatives. I have some Throat Coat tea that works pretty good. that is what I take when I have a sore throat.
Sorry if I upset you. I didn’t mean to...
P.S I am a girl...

Reactions: Lou
According to the NHS website you can get relieve by gargling with salt water (not advised for children), suck ice cubes and or take
ibuprofen.
I remember back in the 50/60's children would get ice cream after having their tonsils removed. The cold would ease the pain.:)

NHS-The following steps can be taken to relieve a sore throat:
  • over the counter painkillers, such as paracetamol or ibuprofen
  • drink plenty of fluids, especially if you have a fever too
  • avoid food or drink that is too hot, as this could irritate the throat
  • eat cool, soft food and drink cool or warm liquids
  • adults and older children can suck lozenges, hard sweets, ice cubes or ice lollies
  • avoid smoking and smoky environments
  • regularly gargle with warm, salty water to help reduce swelling or pain.

For me home made treacle toffee provides the best relief for a sore throat.

Bake a tray of it, score it into pieces with a sharp knife when it has cooled to only slightly warm, bash it into pieces when cold and put the pieces in a lidded plastic box and store in the fridge for future use.

Until your skills become fully honed you will find that the pieces will stick together. No problem… vigorously shake the box about and they will separate.

You then have a medicine that you might be tempted to pilfer even when you really have no sore throat excuse.

Roger.

Reactions: Lou