• Public nudity

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Public masturbation

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Gun control gets a lot of attention, but there are other ways people suffer that gets less attention. There are also things that are illegal but don't cause problems(actually healthy) and some would say should be legal. Thoughts?

Public nudity and public masturbation should be made explicitly legal, just like breast feeding.:devil:
According to what I've read masturbation is good for the heart and good for sleep. Our society should be promoting it. Why would you make it illegal? Vitamin D is good for you, so logically nudity should be legal. We hate the good stuff, but allow the bad stuff. A great society we live in.

Defecation is both very natural and very healthy.

As with nudity and masturbation it probably makes for a nicer world when such things are kept discrete.

Smoking is a serious health hazard to both the smoker, and anyone within a radius of approximately 500 metres. Also, if this is someone who is pregnant or lactating, they are wilfully degrading the health of their child.

Why it is still allowed is a mystery, and an offence against rationality.

Reactions: Calliegirl
Smoking is a serious health hazard to both the smoker, and anyone within a radius of approximately 500 metres. Also, if this is someone who is pregnant or lactating, they are wilfully degrading the health of their child.

I agree. But with some people, addiction overrides all sense of rationality.

I would suspect alcohol has decimated more lives than smoking has, when you take into account fetal alcohol syndrome, deaths and injuries occasioned by drunk driving, all of the violence associated with alcohol, and lives ruined directly and indirectly through alcoholism and excessive drinking.

In the spirit of the less seen of humans the better, I have voted that public indecency should be illegal and anything useful in people killing themselves and other humans should be legal (except guns - those are most often used to kill non-humans).

Reactions: thefadedone
I would suspect alcohol has decimated more lives than smoking has, when you take into account fetal alcohol syndrome, deaths and injuries occasioned by drunk driving, all of the violence associated with alcohol, and lives ruined directly and indirectly through alcoholism and excessive drinking.

^Agreed.

:yes:

In the spirit of the less seen of humans the better, I have voted that public indecency should be illegal and anything useful in people killing themselves and other humans should be legal (except guns - those are most often used to kill non-humans).

In the UK, causing death by careless driving when under the influence of alcohol, could mean a 14 year prison sentence.

https://www.gov.uk/drink-driving-penalties

:yes:

In the UK, causing death by careless driving when under the influence of alcohol, could mean a 14 year prison sentence.

https://www.gov.uk/drink-driving-penalties
In America, a similar offense means you get sent to a posh rehab facility that offers equine therapy. Did I mention that this sentence only applies to the scions of nouveau riche plutocrats?

In America, a similar offense means you get sent to a posh rehab facility that offers equine therapy. Did I mention that this sentence only applies to the scions of nouveau riche plutocrats?

I think that you see them on E entertainement. It makes me angry to see famous people getting away with drunk or drug related driving offences.

I think there's a huge difference between disliking something, and making it illegal.

Guns are so common that we'd never get them all. And I think there's something culturally about parts of the US which contribute to gun homicides. It would be nice to get some common-sense regulations for guns, and it would be very nice if we actually had a decent social safety net available to everyone, to reduce crime. But both sides seem to be idiots in this regards.

The US has tried to make alcohol illegal once before, and the result contributed to the rise of organized crime and excessive violence.

The US has currently prohibited many recreational drugs, and the result is fueling violence both here and in other countries. While the lack of quality control for illegal drugs has made it far more risky for drug users.

Smoking, thank God, has never been prohibited. Instead, through some freak act of sanity, efforts to change cultural thinking has resulted in reduced smoking rates. While some of the campaign has gone overboard, as a whole, it's actually a decent way of handling a harmful, addictive, yet enjoyable substance.

Nudity? Seriously, it's not harming anyone.

About the only one I see being advocating being made illegal is public masturbation, since you could argue there's a health hazard. Then again, couldn't that just fall under other laws?

I think that you see them on E entertainement. It makes me angry to see famous people getting away with drunk or drug related driving offences.
Nightshade was referring to this case specifically: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/affluenza-slammed-as-defense-for-wealthy-texas-teens-fatal-dwi-wreck/ It's not unusual for the wealthy to get away with this sort of thing; the only thing that made this case newsworthy is that the defense specifically argued that the guy wasn't equipped to face consequences because his family's wealth had always insulated him from consequences.

Nightshade was referring to this case specifically: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/affluenza-slammed-as-defense-for-wealthy-texas-teens-fatal-dwi-wreck/ It's not unusual for the wealthy to get away with this sort of thing; the only thing that made this case newsworthy is that the defense specifically argued that the guy wasn't equipped to face consequences because his family's wealth had always insulated him from consequences.

I saw this story on the news the other day.

That is the case I was specifically referring to, although America certainly has a long history of administering unequal justice depending on the level of your fame and bank account as Shyvas pointed out.

Reactions: thefadedone
Nudity? Seriously, it's not harming anyone.

Neither is your neighbor's lawn being used as a cemetery for dead cars, but I'd rather see the dead cars than the neighbors' nether parts. Humans (and especially male humans) seem to think much more highly of the visual appeal of their nether parts than objectivity would support.

Reactions: Poppy
Neither is your neighbor's lawn being used as a cemetery for dead cars, but I'd rather see the dead cars than the neighbors' nether parts. Humans (and especially male humans) seem to think much more highly of the visual appeal of their nether parts than objectivity would support.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's all subjective. :p