Solar powered light

sleepydvdr

Forum Legend
Reaction score
This past weekend, I was at Costco with a buddy and I ran across a solar powered outdoor LED light for $29.99. That was such a fantastic deal, I couldn't pass it up without seeing how good it is. You can't even buy a solar cell for that price, much less a flood light with 60 LEDs.

Anyways, I tried it in my kitchen last night to see how bright it is. It wasn't as bright as a normal light, but I was able to cook dinner with it. I'm going to try a little experiment. I'm going to try to only use this light in the kitchen. It worked well last night. I want to see if the solar panel charges enough to stay sustainable even though the solar panel is not in the best location. I have it in my kitchen window and it ambient light, but no direct sunlight. I think if I had another 1 or 2 of these lights, it would be just as bright as regular lighting. Plus, it has a motion sensor, so I don't have to turn it on and off. It would be nice to run everything off solar!

Reactions: Dropkick and KLS52
This past weekend, I was at Costco with a buddy and I ran across a solar powered outdoor LED light for $29.99. That was such a fantastic deal, I couldn't pass it up without seeing how good it is. You can't even buy a solar cell for that price, much less a flood light with 60 LEDs.

Anyways, I tried it in my kitchen last night to see how bright it is. It wasn't as bright as a normal light, but I was able to cook dinner with it. I'm going to try a little experiment. I'm going to try to only use this light in the kitchen. It worked well last night. I want to see if the solar panel charges enough to stay sustainable even though the solar panel is not in the best location. I have it in my kitchen window and it ambient light, but no direct sunlight. I think if I had another 1 or 2 of these lights, it would be just as bright as regular lighting. Plus, it has a motion sensor, so I don't have to turn it on and off. It would be nice to run everything off solar!
That's a great idea. I have a few solar lights in the yard in case of a power failure, I bring them in. :)

Would love to have some for my yard but never get around to buying any.

I think they probably would be good for emergency lighting.Now I want to get some even more as we sometimes do have storms and the power is out for awhile.I wonder if they would work equally as well in the winter when there is not much daylight?Most of our long outages happen in the winter.

Last edited:
Would love to have some for my yard but never get around to buying any.

I think they probably would be good for emergency lighting.Now I want to get some even more as we sometimes we do have storms and the power is out for awhile.I wonder if they would work equally as well in the winter when there is not much daylight?Most of our long outages happen in the winter.
I'm in florida where our problem storms are usually in the hot weather, so I'm not sure. :)

For emergency lighting, we have oil lamps and we fall back on our camping headlamps for real work.

It's good.

Reactions: ledboots
I'm sad to report this light's battery (or solar cell) isn't very powerful. It worked well the first night, but took 2 days to charge up enough to be usable again. The package says it last 8 hours. Maybe they meant 8 hours of occasionally turning on and off outside. But for what I was trying to use it for (a kitchen light alternative), it didn't do so well. I guess you get what you pay for. I will have to invest in better solar cells and batteries. Someday...