Social Networking for Science/Nature Lovers

GingerFoxx

No effin' whey!
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am not sure the best location to post this, but I have been trying expand my meager social circle. It's hard to find people my age locally, who have intellectual curiosity and care about issues like health, science, nature and animal welfare. Do any of you know any good websites/forums where I might meet like-minded folks and build some real-world relationships?

I have tried Meetup. There is a vegan group , but unfortunately it meets infrequently in places I can't often get to with no car. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot in my area. I still monitor the site for new things, but I know I need to find more options.

Do any of you know any good websites/forums where I might meet like-minded folks and build some real-world relationships?
There is probably not a single group that shares all of the desirable interests you mentioned (unless you can find a vegan runners' club which is also a chess club ... :) ), but there could be individuals within each group that share many or most of them. So I'm guessing the best approach is to try a variety of different social arenas that cater to at least one of the interests.

Making friends can be difficult for some of us ... I'm hopelessly introverted myself, so I'm usually not the type to strike up conversations with strangers. I do believe it's possible to change, though, if one really, really wants to.

I am not looking for an all-in-one sort of group. Any of the above would be fine, but I really haven't found anything that meets around me in a location I can get to, or on any kinda of regular basis. That's why I was thinking a few forums (other than this one) might be a good place to start.

I am not looking for an all-in-one sort of group. Any of the above would be fine, but I really haven't found anything that meets around me in a location I can get to, or on any kinda of regular basis. That's why I was thinking a few forums (other than this one) might be a good place to start.
I was reminded of this thread for some reason. Have you had any luck?

Reading between the lines a bit - are you saying there is a transportation issue (no car / driver's licence)? Maybe you should be looking into ways of overcoming that issue somehow.

I haven't had any luck, partly because I haven't had much free time lately, since what I do have has been spent addressing home projects. Unfortunately, a car and license are not in the financial cards for me anytime soon, what with my mortgage and all the expenses incurred from trying to address the severe depression I battle daily.

There really isn't much locally. I may need to figure out how to go down to Boston more often. It's less than 2hrs away, and they have a much better saturation of the personal interests I have, since it's a university town with a lot of museums, etc. I can get a round trip bus ticket for less than $25, and a subway pass is only a few dollars. The trick is finding cheap activities while I am there. I will be down there next month. Maybe I can ask around and see if there is any potential ideas.

I know that won't really be a good spur of the moment option, nor will it be something I can do frequently, but at least it's a start.