Soap Making

Lord Snot

Parsley Provider
Reaction score
A while ago I started experimenting with making soap, and I thought I would make a thread to see if anyone else does it or if anybody would like to and wants some advice. I'm going to put some information here for people who have never made soap, though I'm sure many of you have. :)

Homemade soap comes in two broad varieties; melt and pour or cold process soaps.

Melt and Pour

As the name suggests, this is a ready-made soap base that you melt and then pour into different moulds. So you don't actually make the soap yourself, you just craft it into whatever shape you like. You can create designs and colours using food colouring and other methods. You can find soap making kits in craft stores and they will be the melt and pour kind. This method is very quick and the soap is ready to use as soon as it is hardened. However, to be frank, the soap sucks. It deteriorates very quickly, it has a weird texture, it can be crumbly and it just is not the same quality as proper soap.

However if the soap making project is for a child, this is by far the better method. Cold process soap involves caustic soda which isn't something I'd want to see a child handling.

Cold Process

Cold process soap makes the kind of soap you are used to buying. It is of a much better quality than melt and pour, but the process is much longer, has an element of danger and a lot can go wrong. The soap also needs to cure for several weeks to allow the caustic soda to reduce to safe levels, or else it can burn your skin. It requires attention and patience. The initial start up costs are higher than melt and pour, but the equipment and some of the ingredients can be used for many many batches before they have to be bought again.

I can post an actual basic recipe if anyone wants, but the basic principle is that you add a lye (caustic soda) mixture to oils/fats, blend them together with a few other ingredients such as glycerine, which gives the soap its moisturising and lathering properties, pour it into moulds and let it cure for several weeks. As with melt and pour soaps the sky is the limit in terms of creativity; you can make soap of any colour, shape, fragrance and design.

Here is one of the bars from my most recent batch. All profits go to cow protection projects, hence the logo:

76276_497177423627301_1214745076_n.jpg

This one was lavender scented and uncoloured. We are trying to go for simplicity which is why we aren't making any fancy, beautiful soaps like you see on Etsy. But we may well do something more creative when we get the mail ordering set up, for people who want to give it as a gift.

Our first batch took two of us about 3 hours to make. We have since cut that time down to 1-1.5 hours, which gives us enough to make 35 bars of that size. We are producing it for sale which is why we make so much. For home use you would make a tiny amount which would take maybe 45 minutes. You can't rush it too much because a lot of care needs to be taken with making the lye mixture.

I don't want to present myself as an expert so I'll leave it there and if anyone has questions or wants to know more, please ask. :)

That's pretty cool! I have wanted to try making soap for some time now, and would be interested in learning how. I don't have any particular questions for the moment, but I will keep my eyes open for this thread. :)

That's really cool :) I'd like to make my own soap, but wow sounds time consuming! The cows are really cute :)

How easy to find, and cheap, are the ingredients? How much would it cost me to make a batch?

It really depends on your quantities, and regional variations in price. You can use whichever oils you like, even canola or vegetable, although I would always use olive oil as it gives a nice quality to the soap. For 30 bars of soap we need about 1L of oil and 1.5kg (3lbs ish) vegetable fat. You could get it all for £5. You need caustic soda, which here is sold in bottles of 500g for about £3. We use 450g for our amounts, but this varies depending on the saponification values of the oils you use. Then you need glycerin, just about 15mls/one tablespoon. Similar amounts of borax and sugar.

Unless you can somehow find very small amounts of those for sale, your initial costs will be higher than subsequent batches. You can get it all for maybe £15 for the first batch, and after that you just need to replenish caustic soda and oils as needed. Of course if you made smaller amounts, say 5 bars a time, you could probably spend just a few pounds on subsequent batches.

Most of it is available in supermarkets, the oils and fats and sugar. We found glycerin and borax at a health food shop but it's also online, cheap. Caustic soda is available here at many pharmacies, which is odd considering its main purpose is as a drain unblocker. Some DIY places sell it but it's often mixed in with other chemicals and 3x the price of pure caustic soda, so if you can't find it in store you might need to go online. Also some places will not put it on the shelves but they have it if you ask.

In terms of equipment you need 2 pots that you will never be able to use for cooking again. It seems overkill to me that if something has touched caustic soda it can never touch food, but all the sites and books say it so I'll echo it. Similarly a spoon or two for stirring, a thermometer, a blender (optional, with small amounts you can do it by hand but it will take a lot of stirring) and moulds. Everything should be stainless steel and definitely not plastic. I had a lot of stuff in the kitchen that I could set aside for soap making so all we bought was the moulds. If you had to buy everything it would be maybe... £20? But you wouldn't have to replace that stuff for a long, long time.

Reactions: SummerRain
:) Thank you ! That's just what I wanted to know. It's definitely something I'd like to do in the future, maybe near future.

It really depends on your quantities, and regional variations in price. You can use whichever oils you like, even canola or vegetable, although I would always use olive oil as it gives a nice quality to the soap. For 30 bars of soap we need about 1L of oil and 1.5kg (3lbs ish) vegetable fat. You could get it all for £5. You need caustic soda, which here is sold in bottles of 500g for about £3. We use 450g for our amounts, but this varies depending on the saponification values of the oils you use. Then you need glycerin, just about 15mls/one tablespoon. Similar amounts of borax and sugar.

Unless you can somehow find very small amounts of those for sale, your initial costs will be higher than subsequent batches. You can get it all for maybe £15 for the first batch, and after that you just need to replenish caustic soda and oils as needed. Of course if you made smaller amounts, say 5 bars a time, you could probably spend just a few pounds on subsequent batches.

Most of it is available in supermarkets, the oils and fats and sugar. We found glycerin and borax at a health food shop but it's also online, cheap. Caustic soda is available here at many pharmacies, which is odd considering its main purpose is as a drain unblocker. Some DIY places sell it but it's often mixed in with other chemicals and 3x the price of pure caustic soda, so if you can't find it in store you might need to go online. Also some places will not put it on the shelves but they have it if you ask.

In terms of equipment you need 2 pots that you will never be able to use for cooking again. It seems overkill to me that if something has touched caustic soda it can never touch food, but all the sites and books say it so I'll echo it. Similarly a spoon or two for stirring, a thermometer, a blender (optional, with small amounts you can do it by hand but it will take a lot of stirring) and moulds. Everything should be stainless steel and definitely not plastic. I had a lot of stuff in the kitchen that I could set aside for soap making so all we bought was the moulds. If you had to buy everything it would be maybe... £20? But you wouldn't have to replace that stuff for a long, long time.

It that 30 bars for £20 Lord Snot ? If so that really is good value !

BTW I love the cows.:)

It that 30 bars for £20 Lord Snot ? If so that really is good value !

BTW I love the cows.:)

£20 is for the equipment, plus about £15 for ingredients - but that's the first batch. I don't have calculations for the following ones yet but you don't need to buy borax, glycerine, sugar and you will have some oil and caustic soda left over. :)

£20 is for the equipment, plus about £15 for ingredients - but that's the first batch. I don't have calculations for the following ones yet but you don't need to buy borax, glycerine, sugar and you will have some oil and caustic soda left over. :)

That is really good value for money.
I'd love Monkey soaps !

That is really good value for money.
I'd love Monkey soaps !

It's really fun experimenting with design and colour, that's one of the best bits I think! Monkey soap would be cool, what would you put in it to make it monkey soap? Maybe some banana flavouring or something :D

It's really fun experimenting with design and colour, that's one of the best bits I think! Monkey soap would be cool, what would you put in it to make it monkey soap? Maybe some banana flavouring or something :D

What a fabulous idea. I'd like a monkey face on the soap which would be a hit with tiny tots.:up:

Was in a gift shop and started smelling the homemade soaps on sale there and got the bug to try making my own... Anyway I just ordered my first kits to make some cold pressed soap. It'll let me try it out with pre-measured ingredients and they come with the molds to make a 3# loaf. I also got a book with lots of recipes. I also want to try making some bar shampoo. I'm quite excited about this, kinda like cooking, smells good and I can control/experiment with different types of oils and scents.

This is one of the kits I got:

Reactions: KLS52
Cool looking kit! Let us know how it works out. :)