Smoothie issue

zki

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Mid PMs between lunch & dinner, I usually have a smoothie to curb appetite & replace sweets snacks. A typical one includes:

1 cup almond milk
4 ice cubes
greens like spinach or broccoli stalks
frozen banana slices
4-5 frozen strawberries
3 canned pineapple slices
heaping teaspoon of peanut butter
cinnamon

I notice after, I get strong cravings for sweets like donuts & pastries. The only suspect I see in the smoothie is the pineapple slices which come in 100% pineapple juice.
Comments? Thank you.

Reactions: MegVnutri
maybe don't put the pineapple juice in?

I make somewhat similar smoothies and I have started adding about an 1/8 tsp salt, a sprinkle of cayenne and a couple of shakes of turmeric/pepper mix, this bit of non-sweetness helps to keep me satiated longer. I also put in greens and so therefore put in lemon juice squirts for absorption which means that I do not use plant milks in these smoothies as the lemon juice will make buttermilk out of it, I use water instead.

It really is a lot of sugar (mine is mixed berries and a banana) and that can make us feel hungry sooner.

Emma JC
edit: I also put in 2 tablespoons of ground flax and that definitely helps make me feel fuller

Last edited:
Reactions: zki
That's quite a lot of fruit. Perhaps you should skip the pineapple juice, add less bananas and pineapples and an extra
tsp of pb.

I could cut banana & pineapple in 1/2 - perhaps rinse pineapple out of can & replace with water to store...

Reactions: Emma JC
I could cut banana & pineapple in 1/2 - perhaps rinse pineapple out of can & replace with water to store...

yes, or just store the pineapple, with its juice, in a tupperware container and use just the pineapple and throw the juice away at the end or use it for baking etc or for a smoothie that has less sugar in it

Emma JC

Reactions: zki

You can also freeze bananas. The pineapple rings will keep in an airtight container without liquid or you could also freeze them. Too much fruit can trigger cravings
as the sugar content is high. I usually add some protein powder and only add berries(low GI) and wheatgerm for a snack. Raspberries and blueberries are far better if you tend to have cravings.

I'm far too sensitive to sugar and carbs and eat berries rather than pineapple.

Reactions: Emma JC and zki
You can also freeze bananas. The pineapple rings will keep in an airtight container without liquid or you could also freeze them. Too much fruit can trigger cravings
as the sugar content is high. I usually add some protein powder and only add berries(low GI) and wheatgerm for a snack. Raspberries and blueberries are far better if you tend to have cravings.

I'm far too sensitive to sugar and carbs and eat berries rather than pineapple.

The banana slices I use are frozen. Yeah, perhaps I'm sensitive to sugar as well - after drinking smoothie I have a feeling of fullness but a strong craving for sweets at the same time. I could easily replace pineapple w/berries I always have in stock, thanks.

Reactions: Emma JC
Use the pineapple for pizza!!
🍕

I agree with the berries instead of pineapple part - I just finished my brekkie smoothie - 1/2 tsp wakame, berries, arugula, peanut butter powder, ground flax, sprinkle each of salt, cayenne, turmeric/pepper, lemon juice, water, banana.

Emma JC

The banana slices I use are frozen. Yeah, perhaps I'm sensitive to sugar as well - after drinking smoothie I have a feeling of fullness but a strong craving for sweets at the same time. I could easily replace pineapple w/berries I always have in stock, thanks.

Here is a list of low GI fruit :

Pineapples & bananas are high GI.

Reactions: zki and Emma JC
Unless you're going with a green smoothie - meaning one that is actually absent many fruits, I'd actually consider a smoothie to be a sweet snack. Since you said you're trying to avoid sweet snacks between meals, try instead to have nuts, seeds, crackers, carrot slices, cherry tomatoes, etc. Especially if it seems your sweet cravings suddenly jump after your smoothies.

If you really want to have smoothies, consider also frozen pineapple - it's not sitting in syrup/juice so that will cut the sugar back significantly. Switch to unsweetened almond milk, too, to reduce sugar.

Reactions: zki and PTree15