Smell of meat and death on hospital linen?

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
A few years ago I was in hospital with a broken pelvis, and sometimes, lying in bed, the linen smelt like pig meat, and a general smell of death, which isn't nice, especially in hospital. Would the washing powder likely have been made from animal ingredients? I suppose that it was, although I think I was ignorant of the prevalence of animal ingredients in washing products, in those days.

Anyone else smell this on washing products?

I have smelt it in shampoo too.

I'm glad I use Ecover now that it seems that a lot of cleaning products have animal stuff in them.
I just read on their website that they only use plant ingredients.

I read a few years ago that Ecover isn't vegan as the company still tests on fleas. I know that the Astonish range of cleaning products are labelled vegan.

Reactions: Alice-Bee
I hate the smell of hospital linens. One of the cleaning staff told me it is because the dryers are extra hot to kill germs, and it leaves a scent because the sheets are kind of burned.

A few years ago I was in hospital with a broken pelvis, and sometimes, lying in bed, the linen smelt like pig meat, and a general smell of death, which isn't nice, especially in hospital. Would the washing powder likely have been made from animal ingredients? I suppose that it was, although I think I was ignorant of the prevalence of animal ingredients in washing products, in those days.

Anyone else smell this on washing products?

I have smelt it in shampoo too.

I'm glad I use Ecover now that it seems that a lot of cleaning products have animal stuff in them.
I just read on their website that they only use plant ingredients.

Ecover has one washing up liquid which has whey in it (the camomile one) unless they have changed but they said they weren't going to as it was more 'softening' than any other natural ingredient they could find.

I read a few years ago that Ecover isn't vegan as the company still tests on fleas. I know that the Astonish range of cleaning products are labelled vegan.
People test on fleas? o_o;;
I don't notice a meat/death smell...

The Astonish Bio washing liquid (for clothes) smells amazing!
I heard that eCover had their animal friendly status stripped, for other reasons too. More testing, and possible that it was as enviromently friendly as they claimed.

To answer the OP though, my Mam uses Bold washing liquids and I must say hand on heart, they have never smelt of anything other than 'clean washing'. And as far as I am aware the animal bit they use in (most) washing powers is Lanolin, and not any animal fats etc that would cause a meaty smell. What you smelt was probably just general hospital smell sort of trapped in the fabric from use after use, Some smell just stick around. Also I dont think that Hospitals would use a washing powder that had a strong smell of flowers or whatever as some people have sensitivity to that sort of thing.