Sloppy Joe sauce recipe?

Rosie1

I don't know what to put here.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for this?
I stopped making these a long time ago because I didn't want to do the canned stuff anymore, too much sodium.

I also would just use Boca crumbles or Morningstar crumbles. I'm thinking of changing that up, as well.

ketchup, mustard, tamari, garlic, apple cider vinegar, agave, a little water to thin it

i like it with tofu. baked then chopped up.

There's a recipe for 'snobby joes' in veganomicon. I use that one, it's pretty awesome.

http://www.theppk.com/2009/11/snobby-joes/

Seconded.

Just use the right kind of chili powder. The dark red stuff from the grocery store is NOT the same thing as the lighter red/orange stuff from the Indian grocery. I used the Indian stuff once and nearly set myself on fire. I buy most spices at the Indian place because they're cheaper but never again will I buy their chili powder. I suppose you could just use less but I was in no mood, burning mouth and all, to figure out how much less, so I tossed the hot stuff. :p

Seconded.

Just use the right kind of chili powder. The dark red stuff from the grocery store is NOT the same thing as the lighter red/orange stuff from the Indian grocery. I used the Indian stuff once and nearly set myself on fire. I buy most spices at the Indian place because they're cheaper but never again will I buy their chili powder. I suppose you could just use less but I was in no mood, burning mouth and all, to figure out how much less, so I tossed the hot stuff. :p

Yikes! Lesson learned!

Yikes! Lesson learned!

The scary thing is the Indian grocery has one marked chili powder and one marked extra hot chili powder. I didn't even have the extra hot one. I even doubled all the ingredients except the chili powder and added brown sugar (the Internet said brown sugar would help), trying to save the whole mess and not throw it out. It helped some but not enough. That batch ended up in the trash and I didn't make snobby joes for quite some time after. :p

How much BBQ sauce do you add? That sounds awesome.

Whoa. That's some powerful stuff! I don't even want to imagine how the extra hot must be. Hmmm... I'm a "seat of your pants" kind of cook, so not sure about the exact amount.I would say start out with 3/4 cup and taste to see if you want more.

Seconded.

Indian "chili powder" is basically just what the regular grocery stores would sell as cayenne pepper. I have started to differentiate by calling the hot stuff chili powder or cayenne, and calling the less spicy stuff chili SEASONING. They are very much not the same thing. In recipes, you can usually tell which they mean just by the quantity. Chili powder (the hot stuff) will usually be a fraction of a teaspoon. Chili seasoning, well usually be much more. That's my tip. (=

The scary thing is the Indian grocery has one marked chili powder and one marked extra hot chili powder. I didn't even have the extra hot one. I even doubled all the ingredients except the chili powder and added brown sugar (the Internet said brown sugar would help), trying to save the whole mess and not throw it out. It helped some but not enough. That batch ended up in the trash and I didn't make snobby joes for quite some time after. :p

How much BBQ sauce do you add? That sounds awesome.

Noooo, don't throw out spicy stuff, lol. I often get the comment that my meals are "kinda spicy"... but in my defense I got a really good deal on cayenne pepper... 2#'s worth.

http://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Chil...qid=1340125039&sr=1-1&keywords=cayenne+pepper

Reactions: Wolfie
Indian "chili powder" is basically just what the regular grocery stores would sell as cayenne pepper. I have started to differentiate by calling the hot stuff chili powder or cayenne, and calling the less spicy stuff chili SEASONING. They are very much not the same thing. In recipes, you can usually tell which they mean just by the quantity. Chili powder (the hot stuff) will usually be a fraction of a teaspoon. Chili seasoning, well usually be much more. That's my tip. (=

Thanks. I should have known by the difference in color. Snobby Joes take 6 Tbsp. of chili powder so it's no wonder it was a disaster. :p

Noooo, don't throw out spicy stuff, lol. I often get the comment that my meals are "kinda spicy"... but in my defense I got a really good deal on cayenne pepper... 2#'s worth.

http://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Chili-Peppers-Ground-Cayenne/dp/B001VNGG58/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1340125039&sr=1-1&keywords=cayenne pepper

I could NEVER use that much before the expiration date. I like cayenne in very minute quantities. Actually I think the Indian store sells it even cheaper than that.

the chilli powder i use here is indian. i usually use one quarter of a teaspoon to one half a teaspoon. 3 tablespoons like listed in that recipe would send anyone to the bathroom instantly.

confused by this. perhaps there are different chilli powders.