Should veganism have the same legal protection as religion?

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
A federal district court in Cincinnati has refused to dismiss a case in which a hospital customer service representative who was fired for refusing to get a flu shot contended she was entitled to religious accommodation because of her veganism.

According to the ruling in Sakile S. Chenzira v. Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Ms. Chenzira, a vegan, was discharged in December 2010 for refusing to take a flu shot, which is derived from eggs.
http://www.businessinsurance.com/article/20130107/NEWS07/130109934?tags=|70|305|340|303

Personally, I don't think religion should have any protections.

That being said, the obvious response from the veg*n community is going to be "yes".

But under further consideration, if veg*nism is given protection, what else will be given protection under the law? It could open a Pandora's box of precedents.

Furthermore, regardless of her reasons for not getting the shot, the hospital made the right decision in the name of patient safety and wellbeing.

Reactions: Scorpius
Personally, I don't think religion should have any protections.

That being said, the obvious response from the veg*n community is going to be "yes".

But under further consideration, if veg*nism is given protection, what else will be given protection under the law? It could open a Pandora's box of precedents.

Furthermore, regardless of her reasons for not getting the shot, the hospital made the right decision in the name of patient safety and wellbeing.
Most hospitals in the US do not force their employees to receive influenza vaccinations. I hate getting it, but when I am caring for patients, especially the immunocompromised newborns, it wouldn't feel right not to be vaccinated.

But on topic, I think ethical reasons should be taken into consideration if purely religious ones are. My reasons for being vegan are wrapped up in my person: in my Buddhist thoughts, in my nurse thoughts, in my parent thoughts, in all the thoughts. Why is one reason valued over the others?

But on topic, I think ethical reasons should be taken into consideration if purely religious ones are. My reasons for being vegan are wrapped up in my person: in my Buddhist thoughts, in my nurse thoughts, in my parent thoughts, in all the thoughts. Why is one reason valued over the others?

Agreed.

I think in a hospital it is best to go along with the regulations. Hospital employees interact in cafeterias etc and you dont want to be coughing all over the doctors and nurses who then take the germs to the children.

I think in a hospital it is best to go along with the regulations. Hospital employees interact in cafeterias etc and you dont want to be coughing all over the doctors and nurses who then take the germs to the children.

It's usually the children who take the germs to everyone else. :p

Both main hospitals here require it. There's no opting out for veganism or for religious reasons. Only medical reasons. But if you can opt out of something for religious reasons, then you should be able to for personal reasons as well. I don't agree with it being mandatory myself but I need this job.

I think all walks of life should be protected and I think we need to be protecting those that want alternative health lifestyles.

It should up to you what you should and should not eat, they should not force , any thing on anyone against their wills. That is why I am so picky what Church i attend now because I don't want to be told what to wear and what to listen to and watch and stuff, it should be my decision if its ok for me or not.

But on topic, I think ethical reasons should be taken into consideration if purely religious ones are.

Agreed.

Whether religious/personal/ethical reasons are to be taken into account depends on the circumstance, in the case of flu vaccines I don't have an issue with them not being taken into account. If it is safer for people coming into hospital for the people working there to have had the vaccine, then I have no issue with it being compulsory. A sick person shouldn't have to be put at risk because of somebodies religious/personal beliefs, it's not fair, they don't have a choice whether they come to hospital or not. (I am assuming vaccines actually do make it safer for people in hospital now, I don't know whether that's true or not!)

But I don't think you can take one into account without the other. Why are religious views more or less valid than ethical or personal ones? They're not.

Whether religious/personal/ethical reasons are to be taken into account depends on the circumstance, in the case of flu vaccines I don't have an issue with them not being taken into account. If it is safer for people coming into hospital for the people working there to have had the vaccine, then I have no issue with it being compulsory. A sick person shouldn't have to be put at risk because of somebodies religious/personal beliefs, it's not fair, they don't have a choice whether they come to hospital or not. (I am assuming vaccines actually do make it safer for people in hospital now, I don't know whether that's true or not!)
Yes, agreed. And probably something the European Court of Human Rights would agree with as well: They recently rules that the British Airways employee who was denied the right to wear a white gold cross necklace was discriminated against, whereas the NHS hospital employee with a crucifix was not discriminated against: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21025332

But I don't think you can take one into account without the other. Why are religious views more or less valid than ethical or personal ones? They're not.
It's a good question. I suspect in the US, where religious groups are more influential, they tend to value religious beliefs higher than in (western) Europe. Possibly religion is seen more as an important component in the "fabric of society" over there. Well, this is only speculation.

In this case, no. By working around sick people you accept a responsibility to look after their health, which means contributing to herd vaccination and taking sensible precautions to stop yourself becoming infectious with potentially deadly diseases like 'flu. Religion or veganism, IMO, isn't a good enough excuse for health workers not to take it.

In general I don't think people should be forced to do something that doesn't affect others, which is where I do agree with protection from religious/ethical discrimination. But when it starts endangering others, one person's particular beliefs should not cause them to suffer.

Personal experience rather than answering the question. The vaccine isn't compulsory at my hospital. And an alternative (one that was suitable for members of staff with egg allergies) was available, but at a very high cost to the hospital. Many people I know didn't take the vaccine for different reasons. I chose to have it because IMO, to refuse it on my (fairly new) vegan beliefs would mean I was putting patient's lives and suffering below animals' xxx

Reactions: Lord Snot
I've heard that eventually they may require all health care workers to have a flu shot. Not sure if that is U. S. national or just in California where I live. I heard a discussion on the radio where a "patient advocate" (actually that's part of a nurses job also) stated that all health care workers SHOULD be required to have flu shots to protect patients. So I guess I become property when I hit the time clock.

Hopefully I should be long out of nursing if and when that happens.

As far as being vegan anyone has the right not to be harassed and especially in the work place. So if anyone ever bothers me for being vegan, I'm using that word. Though most don't know I am.

Kitties, don't you think you have a duty to take all sensible precautions to protect your patients? Why else are you a nurse?
Do you mind if I ask if you get flu shots? I do a lot for my patients. And not to talk myself up, but I do more than some of my co-workers do. But I've never had and I don't want a flu shot.

Reactions: Pickle Juice
Do you mind if I ask if you get flu shots? I do a lot for my patients. And not to talk myself up, but I do more than some of my co-workers do. But I've never had and I don't want a flu shot.
It isn't mandatory at my hospital, but I get one because I work with newborns. If I didn't do direct patient care, I wouldn't get one either, tbh.

Yes I do, I'm diabetic. I'd find it scary if nurses and other people who were supposed to be taking care of my health (and other vulnerable people's) didn't take sensible precautions to protect it.

Reactions: kibbleforlola