Should Senior Citizens be Tested - Driving ?

Wow, for life? My dad (84 years old) recently had to take a written test to renew his license, and he almost didn't pass the eye exam, but he got a license good for another 5 years. They should have given him, and all seniors, an on the road test. He probably wouldn't have passed that, he really shouldn't be driving.

I think starting around 70 they should be tested often, and it should increase as they get older.

I don't know, I'm having a hard time with this, maybe because I'm 63. If I continue in good health for another 7 years I'd resent having to take a test again. Some people get very nervous and don't test well. Doesn't mean they can't drive under normal circumstances. There are a lot of bad drivers, of all ages, out there. Who's to say they didn't get lucky when they took their test.

That said, obviously, an elderly person with vision impairment or other health issues that would affect their judgement, shouldn't be behind the wheel. See, I'm torn, lol.

Oh yeah, and driving slow doesn't mean they shouldn't have a license. Speed limit is just that...a limit of how fast you can go. Unless there's a minimum posted and that's not often the case unless it's a highway. [emoji12]

(Even though it irritates me to no end when I'm stuck behind a slow driver, haha)

It depends very much on the health of the individual. My father drove up until a couple of years ago with no problems; he is now 88. However, his wife suffers from Ahlziemers (sp?)and she had to stop driving some time ago because of that. There was just a horrible accident involving a 70 year old woman near here. Who knows if she was "elderly impaired.?" As KLS said there are many bad drivers of all ages. I do not know what the solution is..... :/

Reactions: KLS52
I was thinking about all the younger bad drivers when I said 70, but I based that age on the elderly lady I used to work for. She was 70 and I drove with her a few times. It was terrifying and I was always amazed when we made it home. I know, it's not fair to judge everyone based on her driving.

Okay, regular mandatory testing starting at 80. I know there are good drivers who are 80+, but there are a lot more who aren't. Most of the stories you hear of crashes through a building are people in their 80's and 90's who confused the pedals.

I'm not sure og we have it til we are 100 anymore or not, but it was the rule when I got mine. And then the person's doctor had to report it if it wasn't safe for a person to keep it.

I think older people should be tested again, thinking of safety. They cause other type of accidents than younger. Like driving wrong way on the highway. But I think a driving licence shouldn't be a right, and that people lost it sooner than they do.

I don't know, I'm having a hard time with this, maybe because I'm 63. If I continue in good health for another 7 years I'd resent having to take a test again. Some people get very nervous and don't test well. Doesn't mean they can't drive under normal circumstances. There are a lot of bad drivers, of all ages, out there. Who's to say they didn't get lucky when they took their test.

That said, obviously, an elderly person with vision impairment or other health issues that would affect their judgement, shouldn't be behind the wheel. See, I'm torn, lol.
I completely understand this. I was horribly shy when I was younger and the thought of someone watching every move I made during a driving test scared me so much I didn't take the test until I was in my early 20's. I would hate to have to take it again.

Reactions: KLS52
I don't think 16 year olds should be driving either. Way too immature and more concerned with texting and paying attention to their friends instead of the road. I know, not all 16 year olds are that way, but the majority are.

Reactions: ledboots
I'm 63 too- and I think people should be re-tested now and then. I actually volunteered the info that I had not driven AT ALL for one and a half years, and had driven very seldom for a few years prior to that, the last time I went in to renew my license. I asked if I should be road-tested again, and they said no. If I started driving again, I would take lessons to get rid of any bad habits I'm not aware of first, even though it's not legally required.

About road tests: I took driving lessons before I got my license, and the instructor took me through the testing area sometime before.... which was like seeing the questions on an exam before your classmates do. I think I would have passed anyhow, because the test wasn't notably tricky, but...

I was thinking about all the younger bad drivers when I said 70, but I based that age on the elderly lady I used to work for. She was 70 and I drove with her a few times. It was terrifying and I was always amazed when we made it home. I know, it's not fair to judge everyone based on her driving.

Okay, regular mandatory testing starting at 80. I know there are good drivers who are 80+, but there are a lot more who aren't. Most of the stories you hear of crashes through a building are people in their 80's and 90's who confused the pedals.
Hey, we base our opinions on our experiences. :) and I'm being selfish because I'm a good driver but I'm not sure I would pass another road test. The good thing with me is that I don't see myself trying to get behind the wheel if I don't trust my ability. My anxiety will be the thing to hold me back from trying something stupid. I know that's not the case for a lot of elderly people. They can be very stubborn and won't want to give up their independence.

Hey, we base our opinions on our experiences. :) and I'm being selfish because I'm a good driver but I'm not sure I would pass another road test. The good thing with me is that I don't see myself trying to get behind the wheel if I don't trust my ability. My anxiety will be the thing to hold me back from trying something stupid. I know that's not the case for a lot of elderly people. They can be very stubborn and won't want to give up their independence.

I totally agree. I think that many bad drivers are in the very young and old age groups. Having said that there are far more bad drivers than good ones over here. They are reckless, rude and don't give a dam for others; pedestrians, cyclists or drivers that drive slower than they do.

I think there are two things here - taking an exam, by having to memorize all the traffice rules and so on (which I would say can be hard even for a person who drives regularly, safe and well, but maybe does not remember all the nitty-gritty detail rules by heart) and the check of the required vital functions, e.g. vision.

I think a health check for elder drivers makes a lot of sense, if somebody can no longer see or react well, s/he will be a danger to him/herself and others.

Nevertheless, the article posted at the top IMO is a little bit polemic. I am afraid people die daily because they are killed by drivers of all ages who make mistakes, to single out elderly drivers seems unfair here.

Best regards,
Andy