Should restaurants & Cafés Ban leather seats?

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hi ?,
I’m at a restaurant at the moment. When I was standing waiting to go to the table, I saw some chickens on a spit type thing. It upset me. I used a menu to block it.
Anyhow, we are now seated, but the seats may be leather... I wouldn’t want the leather/skins to be wasted or for un-eco-friendly alternatives to be made, but I also think that it’s disrespectful and offensive to vegans and vegetarians for places to have real leather seats, especially if they are devout vegetarians/vegans who don’t wear leather, have leather furniture and don’t like sitting on, handling or touching leather/animal skins...
Thank you ?.
Best Wishes to all,
Rory.
Have the best day and night ever!

No, they shouldn't.

And unless you're at a pretty fancy place it probably isn't real leather.

Hope you had a good meal!

Reactions: Lou
So for one half of 1% society that is vegan, every single restaurant and cafe in the country should cater for such folks. Sounds a little ridiculous.

Actually, restaurants should not buy leather seats. Not because of how vegans feel. but because of animals - They have a right to live, too.

Actually, restaurants should not buy leather seats. Not because of how vegans feel. but because of animals - They have a right to live, too.
Yes, according to the same 1/2% of society.

Hi ?,
I’m at a restaurant at the moment. When I was standing waiting to go to the table, I saw some chickens on a spit type thing. It upset me. I used a menu to block it.
Anyhow, we are now seated, but the seats may be leather... I wouldn’t want the leather/skins to be wasted or for un-eco-friendly alternatives to be made, but I also think that it’s disrespectful and offensive to vegans and vegetarians for places to have real leather seats, especially if they are devout vegetarians/vegans who don’t wear leather, have leather furniture and don’t like sitting on, handling or touching leather/animal skins...
Thank you ?.
Best Wishes to all,
Rory.
Have the best day and night ever!

A restaurant/cafe is the type of business that, unless one is out traveling with no other means of obtaining food, not exactly a required patronage. Even so, it isn't as if most people choose one over the other due to the type of material that makes up their furniture. They go, largely, because of the type of food, service and atmosphere it brings.

As Sax alluded to, it's probably fake leather for most, as I can't imagine the average restaurant owner is willing to sink a large amount of money into their seating when it isn't the main draw of their business or part of their business model.

There is no "rule" in Veganism that prohibits sitting on leather furniture or even wearing leather clothing. If that's all that's available or all that you have, then use it. The purchase of said products supports the industry, not the hand-me-downs or leftovers from previous living. Vegans are encouraged (not required) to not support cruel industries in their purchases, but not act as if touching, sitting on, or even wearing something that came from an animal somehow "taints" them.

Now if it bothers you (you being the OP), then out of conscience you should probably not be even visiting the establishment - because of the animal products being served, which does support the business, and go to a vegan place instead. This would be a positive action for Vegans and Vegan business, instead of a negative action that makes Veganism look like some sort of cult religion (eg: "Devout" reference ? )

I live in a town of 200 people. And the color yellow really, really upsets me. I'm the only person in my town emotionally affected by this, but regardless I demand that the color yellow be banned from use in public places.

Hands up if you think that sounds totally STUPID.

some sort of cult religion

I'm amazed each and every day with the dumb, fanatical sh!t vegans come out with. Theres def. a lot of brainwashing happening within the ranks, and most seem to drink the kool-aid from Day1

It's doubtful the seats you were in we real leather, but you are correct they shouldn't exist at all. But the fact is, IF they were, and they were not yet worn out and needing replacement, it would be more wasteful to rip them out and install new ones. Maybe find a wooden bench somewhere or wait outside?

Yeah, I think if that's a concern then the fact they sell or make foods with dairy and meat would be the same issue if not more so.

The good news is that it PROBABLY isnt real leather because furnishing EVERYTHING with leather is expensive as all hell. Or they got it second hand. But if it IS and it bothers you THAT MUCH they probably have a chair or something around. Or sit at the bar. Or squeeze your butt into one of those toddler stools lol

I live in a town of 200 people. And the color yellow really, really upsets me. I'm the only person in my town emotionally affected by this, but regardless I demand that the color yellow be banned from use in public places.

Hands up if you think that sounds totally STUPID.

Feminists and civil rights activists and openly gay people and their allies were once a very small percentage of the population too. Also your personal distaste for the color yellow is a false comparison to the real suffering of animals, and the ecological devastation resulting from farming them.

I think something sounds totally stupid here, but it's the opposite of what you think.

Honestly as an environmentalist my answer is NO. Old leather is more sustainable than new synthetics. However, the odds of your sitting on real leather at a restaurant, as many have pointed out, is largely contingent on the age and price range of the restaurant. Mostly historic buildings, like old hotels with grand dining rooms, or classic diners would have leather due to when they were built. Otherwise I think you'd have to be in a five star gourmet restaurant for the owners to invest in real leather.

There's a restaurant in town I decided I don't like even though it has a couple of vegetarian options, and a vegan option or two every day. It's not a five star gourmet place, but it's one of those "foodie" type restaurants for middle/upper class people. It reminds me of Anthony Bourdain and Gordon Ramsay, you know, they literally put bone marrow in their butter for their grilled bread (why? why isn't their butter even lacto-vegetarian???).

I pretty much hate that place on principle, I hate that self-indulgent, foodie, animal violence, bone broth culture with a passion. I'd be much happier sitting in an old dining room from 1890 that had old leather seats eating a veggie burger or a pasta dish than I would suffering through some fancy salad where people were eating BONE MARROW BUTTER.

I think different things bother different people, but new leather in any case is highly unlikely.