Question Should I introduce supplements?

Manda

Newcomer
Reaction score
ive not long since become a vegetarian and I'm on the cusp of becoming a vegan.
My question is what supplements should I take that will give my body the vitamins that I need that you would initially get from meet?

Hi and welcome :)

B12 if vegan is the only one you definitely should take. If you don't eat legumes on the reg, you may want to look into lysine supplements. Many people have low vitamin D levels no matter what their diet.

Reactions: Manda
ive not long since become a vegetarian and I'm on the cusp of becoming a vegan.
My question is what supplements should I take that will give my body the vitamins that I need that you would initially get from meet?
You need a reliable source of B12 (the cyanocobalamin type is best unless you have a known B12 absorption issue). B12 is added to some food products like most plant milks, but only in relatively small amounts. B12 from such foods does help, but you do need to eat a certain amount of it, and it has to spread out over at least two daily meals, I think. So it's much easier to take a supplement.

Another vitamin to consider is D. You do need to get a certain minimum amount, I think 400 I.U. (It's not clear if it would be beneficial with more than this - personally I take some additional D.) There is very little in typical vegan foods, except added to some food products like plant milks. Again, very small amounts, but it doesn't really add up to very much even if you drink a lot of plant milk. The best source of vitamin D is from your skin - the skin makes vitamin D when exposed to sun light. In the winter sunlight isn't powerful enough for the skin to make much, though.

There are a couple of minerals to consider as well, like iodine and selenium.

If you live the UK or some other places in Europe there is a multi vitamin called Veg1 which has all of this.

Reactions: Manda
I had stopped taking multivitamins for a few years thinking they were a waste. I asked my MD to check my calcium and B12 when he wanted to do lab work. All were fine. My vitamin D was very low. Less than 1/2 the low end of normal.

Admittedly, I'm not in the sun much. So I've gone back to taking a multivitamin and a vegan D.

My understanding is, you cannot take too much B-12. Any excess you take in will simply be passed out of the body. On the other hand, some nutrients, like vitamin D and selenium- and others too- you can get too much of.

Rather than try to guess at what your nutritional levels are, it's better to have some simple tests done, so you know exactly where you stand. That way, you can make an informed, intelligent decision, about what you need.

For the record, I take B-12 and D (because I'm low) plus an occasional across-the-board multi-vitamin.

You need a reliable source of B12 (the cyanocobalamin type is best unless you have a known B12 absorption issue). B12 is added to some food products like most plant milks, but only in relatively small amounts. B12 from such foods does help, but you do need to eat a certain amount of it, and it has to spread out over at least two daily meals, I think. So it's much easier to take a supplement.

Another vitamin to consider is D. You do need to get a certain minimum amount, I think 400 I.U. (It's not clear if it would be beneficial with more than this - personally I take some additional D.) There is very little in typical vegan foods, except added to some food products like plant milks. Again, very small amounts, but it doesn't really add up to very much even if you drink a lot of plant milk. The best source of vitamin D is from your skin - the skin makes vitamin D when exposed to sun light. In the winter sunlight isn't powerful enough for the skin to make much, though.

There are a couple of minerals to consider as well, like iodine and selenium.

If you live the UK or some other places in Europe there is a multi vitamin called Veg1 which has all of this.

This is confusing as I have read that methyl B 12 was better than cyanocobalamin. Help !!! :p

Cyanocobalamin Versus Methylcobalamin

This is confusing as I have read that methyl B 12 was better than cyanocobalamin. Help !!! :p

Cyanocobalamin Versus Methylcobalamin
I have heard this also. It is confusing! I actually have both forms at home. I have a B12 methylcobalamin spray and a cyanocobalamin B12 liquid drops. I alternate every other dose with the two, weird as that sounds. I only take my B12 three times per week as any more than that and I start having symptoms of nervousness/restlessness and wanting to jump out of my skin. The cyanocobalamin is worse for this side effect for me, but the dose of that is 1000mcgs and the dose of the methyl is 500mcgs so that could be why.

Forgot...I take the B12 and also vegan D3 (Nordic Naturals or Vitashine). I take a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement as well only because I have a severe bone condition and am on a medication that requires adequate calcium as the med pulls calcium from the blood and puts it into my bones. Too little calcium intake will cause hypocalcemia with this med so I have to be extra careful. I do also try to get enough calcium from my diet but truthfully I fall short some days.

I don't take any other supplements. I used to take a vegan DHA/EPA supplement from Deva brand my first few years vegan, but only a few times per week. I have a terrible time with supplements. My body doesn't like them, hence why i choose drops, sprays, etc over pills when possible. I really dislike calcium supplements as they make me bloat so bad, and i have gone around and around with different ones trying to find something that doesn't make me bloat. Taking one with magnesium helps but too much magnesium will send me to the bathroom too many times, and ironically causes leg cramps (something that it is supposed to help, not cause). I recently found a supplement with a 3:1 ratio of calcium/magnesium instead of 2:1 and it works better for me, not perfect, but better. I can't handle magnesium "oxide" but other forms aren't as bad for me. I do get a lot of magnesium from my diet though. I don't take a multi and haven't for many years because again I have bad reactions to them all. Other than the B12, calcium and D (I cycle to work six months out of the year so I get enough D part of the time from the sun) I don't feel my diet falls short in any other vitamin/mineral. I do eat a good variety of plant foods. and I am not picky about occasionally including fortified processed foods like vegan yogurts, or an occasional Cliff bar, or plant milks. I do try to eat at least 80% whole foods each day though.

Most (if not all) of the vegan B-12 supplements I have seen are sublingual. That is you place it under your tongue and let it dissolve because they say this is the only way it will be fully absorbed. But I take all my other pills and supplements all at once in the morning. I load them all up in a pill dispenser on Sunday and just splash them down before leaving for work. Having to keep and take a separate B-12 sublingually, I often forget to take it.

Are there any good vegan B-12 supplements that I can just swallow? Currently I've been taking the Deva Nutrition Vegan Sublingual B-12 Tablets, 2500 mcg (when I remember to).

I'm fairly new to supplements, other than b-12. But I've recently begun to see a naturopath and she's started me on a vegan multi (no iron for me), 1500 mgs of turmeric (curcumin) and a tincture of black cohosh, hops, licorice, bayberry and sage. I also take a vegan d3, because I keep hearing that nearly every needs it. (I'm almost too full to eat breakfast after taking my handful of vitamins! :p)

Actually, I did have problems taking my multi until I started taking it before bed. It upsets my stomach first thing in the morning, but I'm fine taking it at night.

Reactions: ledboots