Shelf life of vital wheat gluten--anybody know?

dormouse

Forum Senior
Reaction score
I'm reorganizing and taking stock of my kitchen to aid in my vegan conversion, and I came across a tupperware in my cabinet that contains vital what gluten. It's probably about 1.5-2 years old; it was originally used in a black bean burger recipe for a cook out and has not been used since. I have done a quick Google search and found some suggestions, but I wanted to see if any chefs here have experience with it. (Certainly don't expect y'all to do my Googling for me.)

Any ideas or experiences?

While we're at it, in case the gluten is still good, what do you use it in besides homemade veggie burgers?

The only thing I use it for is making seitan. I don't think I've had any in the cupboard for longer than a year, although it's always been fine at that point.

I keep mine in the refrigerator after I open a package, but as long as it doesn't smell stale, it should be O.K. to use.

I use it for making seitan, chickpea cutlets, and any burgers where I want more chewiness. I also use it in brownies and add it to my flour mixture when I make whole grain breads (it helps with the rising of whole grain dough).