Shea Butter (!)

TofuRobot

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Who uses Shea Butter??

I have been using coconut oil for probably 3 years or so exclusively as a moisturizer and a makeup-remover. I literally haven't used anything else in terms of "skin care." I will sometimes dry brush before I shower, then slather on a ton of coconut oil all over, then shower... Makes it easy to shave (when I do it), too - no need for shaving cream.

Lately, however, with the ridiculously dry and hot weather we've been having, my 54 year old previously sun damaged legs have been crying and the coconut oil has not been cutting it. So I spent a bunch of time searching for a decent vegan & cruelty-free product that works something like Aveeno - the only thing I remember really helping my dry skin in the past. I landed upon some expensive brand of something that I ended up realizing was just shea butter. Nothing else - just shea butter. Had the highest rating on Amazon for anything related that I was looking at. Once I realized it was just branding making this stuff expensive I ended up buying a jar of 100% organic unrefined raw shea butter for about $13, and OMG this stuff is the bomb! It seriously makes me wonder what rock I've been living under that I haven't been using this before.

Right now I've got some in my hair, and I put some on my face... And I even scooped out a tin of TJ's "Head to Toe Balm" that I never really liked and has been sitting around for at least a year (was given to me as a gift) and filed it with shea butter to give to my son so he can try it to see if helps his skin, and for his dandruff issue that he's been having lately.

@Lou - you mentioned you have dandruff - have you tried shea butter? If so, does it help? According to the interwebs you're supposed to rub it into your scalp and let it sit for a bit before you shampoo as usual.

I still use coconut oil to remove makeup, as it is just "thinner" when it melts, but I'm loving this stuff on the dry skin on my legs and arms and even my face. I don't know why I never thought of it before since it's literally in everything. I've even lip balm before - back before I was vegan, and I used beeswax and other oils. I wish I would've used shea butter instead....

TL:DR - Just tried shea butter & it's awesome :)

I've never used shea butter. To be honest I don't think i had heard of it till now. My dandruff is under control so I'm not sure I need another product But I'll keep it in mind.

However, I think you may want to watch out. If your legs are in shorts and covered in shea butter, i would think small dogs (and maybe even some bigger ones) will want to lick your legs. Of course, you might like that kind of stuff. ;)

"Shea butter is a fat extracted from the nut of the African shea tree. It is usually ivory in color when raw, with more processed versions being white in color. It can be yellow when a root is added to it. It is widely used in cosmetics as a moisturizer, salve or lotion..." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shea_butter

Well, my dog hasn't even noticed.... But then, he's a little weird, so who knows. None of the little doggies I passed on my run today seemed to notice either. Maybe it's just me, haha

Reactions: Emma JC