Shampoo

KDA83

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hey Everyone :)

I hope I am posting in the right part of the forum for this but I am having trouble finding a shampoo in which is vegan that is also non-comedogenic, antimicrobial, zinc and fungal/ance safe.

You'd think that would be easy enough considering all the options now available at the touch of a button. For the life of me I am finding it tricky to find one in the United Kingdom.

I have a condition called Hidradenitis Suppurativa which basically means I get painful abscesses which sadly the condition isn't curable but it can be managed quite easily by washing the entire body in non-comedogenic, soap free, zinc solution. Which as you can imagine is terrible for the hair and being a redhead it looks lifeless.

You might say "Girl use something separate from your shampoo" I've tried but my skin gets easily irritated.

Before going vegan I always bought cruelty free and vegan certified products only but shampoo wise it's the one product that I am struggling to find a decent alternative for that doesn't upset the skin.

I currently use Faith In Nature fragrance free shampoo but I was wondering if anyone might have a better suggestion?

KDA x

Last edited:
Not sure if this will help... but.

I have two different vegan dandruff shampoos I switch between- I use each one once a week.
the first one is from Trader Joe's so I don't know if you can get it - its called Tea Tree Tingle. I really like it, would give it 5 stars, and since Trader Joes is literally around the corner from me - its super accessible. Not sure if you have any TJ's in your neighborhood, but search online and see if you can find something similar.
the other one I had to order online. Its called Jason's Dandruff Relief. Its active ingredients are salicylic acid and sulfur - which are the same as most dandruff shampoos. but Jason's is cruelty free and animal free. BTW Jason's makes a whole line of hair products and you might like some of the others as well. I haven't tried them yet.

Oh, I was thinking about trying Jupiter Balancing shampoo - it contains zinc. but its too expensive for me. But it might be worth a try.

Reactions: KDA83
Not sure if this will help... but.

I have two different vegan dandruff shampoos I switch between- I use each one once a week.
the first one is from Trader Joe's so I don't know if you can get it - its called Tea Tree Tingle. I really like it, would give it 5 stars, and since Trader Joes is literally around the corner from me - its super accessible. Not sure if you have any TJ's in your neighborhood, but search online and see if you can find something similar.
the other one I had to order online. Its called Jason's Dandruff Relief. Its active ingredients are salicylic acid and sulfur - which are the same as most dandruff shampoos. but Jason's is cruelty free and animal free. BTW Jason's makes a whole line of hair products and you might like some of the others as well. I haven't tried them yet.

Oh, I was thinking about trying Jupiter Balancing shampoo - it contains zinc. but its too expensive for me. But it might be worth a try.
Hey Lou :)

Sadly we don't have a Trader Joe's here but the one you mentioned is something similar to what I would be searching for.

Jason one mentioned I just purchased and will give it a go :) Holland and Barrett also stock Jason products so at least it's very accessible here in Northern Ireland.

I did email a company which specifically do antimicrobial washes for all over use but sadly they haven't been very direct in saying if they are vegan or not.

At the point in trial and error but the Jason one is very close plus apparently according to the Hidradenitis Suppurativa forum I am apart of it's quite successful results. Here's hoping 🙏

Your a life saver ❤

Reactions: Lou
Hey Everyone :)

I hope I am posting in the right part of the forum for this but I am having trouble finding a shampoo in which is vegan that is also non-comedogenic, antimicrobial, zinc and fungal/ance safe.

You'd think that would be easy enough considering all the options now available at the touch of a button. For the life of me I am finding it tricky to find one in the United Kingdom.

I have a condition called Hidradenitis Suppurativa which basically means I get painful abscesses which sadly the condition isn't curable but it can be managed quite easily by washing the entire body in non-comedogenic, soap free, zinc solution. Which as you can imagine is terrible for the hair and being a redhead it looks lifeless.

You might say "Girl use something separate from your shampoo" I've tried but my skin gets easily irritated.

Before going vegan I always bought cruelty free and vegan certified products only but shampoo wise it's the one product that I am struggling to find a decent alternative for that doesn't upset the skin.

I currently use Faith In Nature fragrance free shampoo but I was wondering if anyone might have a better suggestion?

KDA x
Have you heard of pine tar soap, shampoo?
I used to use it on my dog, and when my kids were babies--they had that "cradle cap" if you know what I mean, like thick waxy, not scabs, but like sticky scalp dandruff? Anyway, it worked really well.

The one I'm linking is made in Kentucky, but maybe you can find one over there?

• Informative
Reactions: bEt and KDA83
Have you heard of pine tar soap, shampoo?
I used to use it on my dog, and when my kids were babies--they had that "cradle cap" if you know what I mean, like thick waxy, not scabs, but like sticky scalp dandruff? Anyway, it worked really well.

The one I'm linking is made in Kentucky, but maybe you can find one over there?

Gosh I love the smell of pine tar funny enough :)
Just searched Amazon UK and they do stock it. I never thought of trying cradle cap shampoo 🤔

I ordered Jason one Lou suggested and in the process of ordering the one you have suggested. Worth a try!

I normally use a wee site called Build Your Perfect Skincare Routine in which I run the ingredient list through to check if it's fungal/ance safe. Although it isn't saying the safety factor it doesn't state that the ingredients would cause any flare ups.

I must try Jason and Grandpa soap :)

Thank you so much :)