Music Sgt. Pepper turns 50!!

MadamSarcastra

MadamSarcastra, over & out.
Reaction score
PepperShoot.jpg

The Beatles’ ‘Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’ at 50: Still Full of Joy and Whimsy

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/30/...pers-lonely-hearts-club-band-anniversary.html

Sgt Pepper at 50: How the Beatles masterpiece could unite Brexit Britain

Explore Beatles' Innovative 'Penny Lane' in 'Sgt. Pepper' Doc Clip

This happened on June 1.

The BBC has a wonderful two-part documentary on their website about the album that you can listen to for the next 5 days or so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08qqgm0

Other articles and features about the album are available, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mutts has a cool nod to the Beatles-
2017-06-01-LonelyHearts-v01-r01-1.jpg

031305-600x202.gif
082004.gif

Patrick McDonnell is the author, and quite a vegan advocate. I like him :smitten:

On the anniversary, I noticed that my father had propped up his original vinyl album, to display it. I've listened to so many albums in his collection... it's impressive & well cared for (preserved with Last, & there's a brush to put on the record when it starts spinning to sweep of any excess).... I took pictures of the album, forgot about them, I'll have to fix 'em up... original liner notes and all.... :cool:

That was one of my first original recordings I had as a kid (tape, no less!!!)

I just watched "The Yellow Submarine" with my kids.
Unfortunately, they were not quite as impressed as I was and considered many parts of it "stupid" :(
... and I did not feel like explaining to them that some of the visual effects might be improved by consuming psychedelic substances

That was one of my first original recordings I had as a kid (tape, no less!!!)

I just watched "The Yellow Submarine" with my kids.
Unfortunately, they were not quite as impressed as I was and considered many parts of it "stupid" :(
... and I did not feel like explaining to them that some of the visual effects might be improved by consuming psychedelic substances

I first saw Yellow Submarine in the theater when I was eight or nine years old. I loved it. I bought it on video the minute it was released. When my nephew was about that age, I couldn't wait to play the videotape of the movie for him. He fell asleep during the movie and later said it was "boring". I was really disappointed. I thought the bright psychedelic colors, the humor, the odd characters, and the music would be fun for all generations of kids, not just for mine. Apparently I was wrong. :pout:

Reactions: Andy_T
It was 50 years ago today... Sgt. Pepper's album came to play.... (well, you know what I what getting at... shoulda posted that ON the day, dammit. LOL)

Lately I've wanted to watch "Yellow Submarine". I remember various parts of it, but honestly can't remember if I watched it all the way through. I definitely remember
the beginning, from where Pepperland is invaded by the Blue Meanies ("WHAAAAAATTT???!!! BLUE MEANIES ONLY TAKE "NO" FOR AN ANSWER!!") to where each of the Beatles meet the one who's come for help and decide to go with him... the part where they meet the Nowhere Man, and take him along... the part where The Beatles stand on each other's shoulders and apple-bonk several Blue Meanies in succession from behind...

Reactions: Andy_T