News Senator Booker is Right About Factory Farming

Wow that's a really good article, and especially encouraging to see this argument coming from the right. Articles on the ethics of meat production almost always throw some kind of guilt-relieving clause in near the end but this guy doesn't pull his punches. Factory farms are so clearly a moral abomination; there's no grey area on the topic and it's nice to see it treated that way in a mainstream publication.

Thank you for sharing this important article. This gives me hope that animal welfare will not become a conservative versus liberals argument. The animal welfare movement is too important for petty politics.

I believe that the concepts of conservative and liberal are artificial constructs. I recall the ultrasound lady announcing to my wife, "It is a boy." I said, "That is good to know. But, I really wanted to know if the kid will be a democrat or republican."

Another good article from National Review, this one by the Dominion author Matthew Scully.

"Acknowledging that Western societies have every moral reason to condemn the barbarism and recklessness of the live-animal markets only invites, however, a tougher question: Do we have the moral standing? And if any of us are guilty of blind cultural prejudice or of a smug sense of superiority toward Chinese practices, a moment’s serious thought will quickly set us straight.

When the Daily Mail describes how Chinese guards at the live-animal market now “try to stop anyone from taking pictures,” who does that remind us of? How about our own livestock companies, whose entire mode of operation these days is systematic concealment by efforts to criminalize the taking of pictures in or around their factory farms and slaughterhouses? The foulest live-animal-market slayer in China, Vietnam, Laos, or elsewhere would be entitled to ask what our big corporations are afraid the public might see in photographic evidence, or what’s really the difference between his trade and theirs except walls, machinery, and public-relations departments.

If you watch online videos of the wet markets, likewise, it’s striking how the meat shoppers just go on browsing, haggling, chatting, and even laughing, some with their children along. Were it not for the horrors and whimpers in the background, the scene could be a pleasant morning at anyone’s local farmer’s market. As the camera follows them from counter to counter, you keep thinking What’s wrong with these people? — except that it’s not so easy, rationally, to find comparisons that work in our favor."

• Love
Reactions: Lou
The National Review is a conservative publication. And it appears that they are on the left of Booker. My head is spinning

why is veganism considered left instead of right?
libertarian is right
libertarians would argue the left is storm trooper, that the state treats people like animals
compassion is left?

why is veganism considered left instead of right?
libertarian is right
libertarians would argue the left is storm trooper, that the state treats people like animals
compassion is left?
Well, veganism is not necessarily left or right but in the first half of the 21st century, Democratic and liberals are more supportive of animal rights than Republicans and conservatives.
In fact, give me a quarter and I'll construct an argument (with evidence) that Republican and conservatives are anti-compassion and not supportive of animals (or people's) rights.
I can't imagine why a libertarian would argue that "the left is storm trooper".
One of the best examples of "the state treats people like animals" occurred during the Trump Presidency, when children were kept in cages. and when Trump frequently disparaged people of color by calling them "animals".

Also remember that earlier this year, and I don't remember what triggered it, but the elected Republicans and Fox News went nuts and screamed that Biden was coming for your hamburgers.

I wish animal rights wasn't political. If the the National Review san say, " Factory farms are an abomination, cruel to animals and a bad deal for humans, too. The sooner we abolish them, the better." Then maybe it could be come nonpartisan.

Animal rights should be ... um... self evident.

Well, veganism is not necessarily left or right but in the first half of the 21st century, Democratic and liberals are more supportive of animal rights than Republicans and conservatives.
I am arguing that the "welfare vs abolition" is the same principle... individual rights vs group calculations... welfarist advocates compromise individual rights for what they believe is an improvement for the group while abolitionist advocates dont and exclusively promote vegan solutions... aka there are some "lefty vegans" who are probably more right wing than they would like because of those people being crazy because of Q and tea party's and whatever else... Politically it means less vs more government... Only someone ignorant of the $ numbers would argue for more... we could do it with way less if they spent the $ differently
In fact, give me a quarter and I'll construct an argument (with evidence) that Republican and conservatives are anti-compassion and not supportive of animals (or people's) rights.
You mean more so than booker who threw the animals under the bus when they asked during the debates... translate no into spanish for me
I can't imagine why a libertarian would argue that "the left is storm trooper".
Is that a joke?
One of the best examples of "the state treats people like animals" occurred during the Trump Presidency, when children were kept in cages. and when Trump frequently disparaged people of color by calling them "animals".
And yet you have the Harris giving these speeches telling immigrants they will be turned away from the border... poor people somewhere is still a thing that matters morally... libertarians are pro immigration, economists say the world wide gdp would double if everybody just moved to the US... silly thought but there is a point there that cannot be denied... I argue we should change immigration to a States Rights type thing... why does Florida get to tell Washington how many immigrants we take... they're going to live here and not there, it should be our decision not theirs... if even one state could have an open border policy, it would be huge for economics if they were correct... having some internal immigration policy thing would be obvious but its like most people have no reason to constantly hop the border if they have everything they need
Also remember that earlier this year, and I don't remember what triggered it, but the elected Republicans and Fox News went nuts and screamed that Biden was coming for your hamburgers.
Those people are getting their lines crossed, its sorta funny and we can laugh at them because they all have millions of dollars, lol no thats mean
I wish animal rights wasn't political.
To have something truly not be political would require a very different world... Not sure its possible... food? Lol too much money
If the the National Review san say, " Factory farms are an abomination, cruel to animals and a bad deal for humans, too. The sooner we abolish them, the better." Then maybe it could be come nonpartisan.

Animal rights should be ... um... self evident.
It is, I'm sorta paranoid its the Truman show, like a giant punk thing just to abuse me or something, you're saying this is real?
killCounter.gif

Last edited: