School Strike for Climate (Skolstrejk för klimatet)

It's just amazing of what one little girl can do. I guess she will be remembered as one of the biggest enviromental activists in our time.

I only wished more politicans will listen, but I think it's too late to save the Earth. The burning of Amazon forrest shows it for me. Greed, greed, greed.

Greta is currently over half way across the atlantic on her way to the US. Will be interesting to see who she gives interviews do and what events (apart from the main big one) she does when she gets there. I predict AOC and a big crowd of people will be there to meet her off the boat.

I think it's plausible that Greta Thunberg may go on to have a tremendous career and go down as one of the great figures of the age and be remembered and known 100 years from now long after the names of Barack Obama and Angela Merkel have faded into obscurity. Then again, maybe that's way, way over the top.

I don't think it's too late. That is not a fair reading of the science which seems to state that if we radically cut our emissions we can still avoid the worst impacts of climate change.

Also, it is not a yes/no, win/lose thing. Maybe it's too late to stop climate change killing tens of millions of people, but maybe we can make the changes needed to stop hundreds of millions or billions dying.

I think if we were somehow able to start a worldwide transition to an environmentally sustainable future now, with full agreement from the political decision-makers, then we could probably avoid the worst effects of climate change. However, because of the general difficulty in implementing big changes that affect a lot of people, this is going to take a long time, unfortunately.

There is some slow shift in public opinion. We seem to me to be already on track to have global emissions peak at some point in the 2020s, be in decline in the 2030s, and be in strong decline in the 2040s, and to be well under half of today by the 2050s even after allowing for population and economic growth. This is not the case with existing policies, but with the momentum and steady shift of public opinion, and the younger generation with different views coming more into power over the decades. So by "on track" I mean assuming public opinion continues to steadily shift about as fast as it is so far.

In theory we could even do a fair bit better than above with good ethical, intellectual, and strategic leadership in a few of the main countries.

Reactions: Second Summer
I'm curious to see in what way science and technology will contribute the most to tackle climate change. Fusion power seems like it would be a fantastic achievement. There are also various terraforming possibilities.

I'm also curious to see if veganism will play a significant role or not. It certainly has a potential.

I was also thinking that even if the effects of climate change start to bite really bad, Earth will still be the preferable place to live, even if Mars becomes an alternative for a few adventurous souls in a few years time.

Maybe those giant, translucent domes that we've seen protecting extraterrestrial cities in sci-fi will become reality here on Earth before they're built on Mars or elsewhere? You never know ...!

I went briefly during lunch break yesterday to a small climate action event on the campus. It was a nice bunch of people and a nice atmosphere.

One of the climate challenges faced by scientists and science support staff is that they travel a lot to conferences and meetings, often to far-away places that you can only realistically reach by plane.

Attachments

• IMG_20190920_124731458_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190920_124731458_HDR.jpg
    659.9 KB · Views: 22
Now I see why you call yourself "Cult leader" lol. Will I need to pledge my allegiance get on the list for a dome? ;)
It won't be cheap, I can promise you that! Only the elite will be able afford property in the domes. I suppose the other option is to go underground. That will be the cheaper, but much less desirable option. They will become the mole people, squinting at the daylight whenever they venture up to the surface.

One of the biggest bullies in Norway attacks Greta at Twitter. Kari Jaquesson is a former fitness/diet person here in Norway and claims to be a feminist. But the way she bullies people, special other women, she's not. The only group of people she hates more than Greta, is transgender women.

greta_kj.jpg

Like Mikkel, I think it is too late but only because we can't affect people's sense of responsibility fast enough to impact big business and consumerism, not because it is physically impossible to make the appropriate changes.

It's not a yes/no thing that is (probably) a misinterpretation of how this works (depending on how you see tipping points).

It's probably be too late to keep to under 2C, but maybe we can do 3C.

It's probably too late to stop millions of people dying, but we can keep it to tens rather than hundreds of millions.

It's probably too late to save the coral reefs, but we can still save the Amazon.

etc etc

Let's not give up, nor use this as an excuse not to cut our own emissions, nor say things like this which could give others the excuse not to cut their emissions.