Savoury Oatmeal

KLS52

Love Is A Verb
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I’ve suddenly become interested in savory oatmeal, maybe because of the discussions about healthy eating and losing weight. It’s no sugar that I’m addicted to sugar. I’m hoping if I can get accustomed to savory oatmeal instead of sweet, it can be an alternative to tofu scramble in the morning.
I found this recipe online and it definitely sounds good, if I can get over the fact that oatmeal needs to be sweet.
Please share your ideas/recipes/tips of savory oats if you have any. Thanks!

Oats are my typical breakfast and usually just like 1/3 cup rolled oats, 1 Tblsp ground flax, sprinkle of hemp sometimes, water to cover, and either date paste and pumpkin spice type blend or berries. It just sits till break a few hours later when I warm it for a minute

I've been liking oat groats more though, but they need to get cooked in advance. I think I'll make some for the week in the Instant Pot

I can do oats with just fruit, but don't really like them that savory for breakfast. Not something I'd ever use nooch or cheese on!

my savory breakfasts are often beans, or soup

Reactions: KLS52
I like savoury risottos and usually make them with either barley or steel cut oats plus vegetables. The texture is slightly different compared to using rolled oats.

Not oats, but I liked this bread a lot-good with fruit or nut butter, or applesauce-

1 1/2 cups raw buckwheat (soak at least 4 hours, then drain)
1/3 cup chia seed, 1 cup water,
2 tsp baking powder, pinch of salt
Put in food processor till combined
You can mix in sunflower seeds, or chopped nuts if you like
Preheat oven to 330F - 165C Cook about 1 Hour

Well I made the recipe above and it surprisingly tasty. I’m not sure if it’s going to help calorie wise. I will have to see once I plug it in to the weight watcher app and Fitbit.

I made the oats as the recipe said and then just added some sautéed onions and mushrooms. But it needed a little bit of vegan butter so that’s where it may not benefit me. I’m kind of really surprised at how good it was because it looked pretty gross and I wasn’t too sure about the smell, LOL. But I’m happy because if nothing else I tried something new and broadened my horizon with regard to oatmeal. 😊

Reactions: PTree15 and Raven
That is so funny as when I posted about oats earlier on here I started looking up recipes as I used to like porridge but went off it.

I saw a recipe for oats with vegan parmesan and I thought who would eat that?! :D

I did buy some oats today but I think I will give savoury oatmeal a pass!

I was thinking that something I prefer savoury that most people prefer sweet is pancakes.

I've really come to enjoy oats as a grain. The savory recipe sounds good to me, but I've only had a commercial imitation cheese once, and it was horrid stuff. I haven't tried the better types because I don't have access to them where I live.

I always eat my whole groats either plain or with savory additions. The way I make it, over night method, results in a product with a rice-like consistency .

My regular breakfast of steel cut oats is plain, no salt, mixed with ground flax. While I don't sweeten it, I will have it with fruit. The texture is quite dense, it can be served from the pan and set on a plate and retains its shape perfectly.

When I eat buckwheat, I'll eat it raw. It makes a great crunchy cereal, or topping. I've tried cooking it as a grain, but greatly prefer it raw.
Buckwheat pancakes are good, just don't make pancakes all that often.

Reactions: KLS52 and Raven
This is what I eat every single morning and it keeps hunger away until lunchtime:

One portion of quick oats.
Some soymilk and water.
Little bit of peanut butter.
A teeny tiny bit of jodied sea salt (so little that you barely know it's there, but it still makes a difference because reasons).
Blueberry powder.
And roasted ground flaxseeds.

On top:
Little bit of raisins or one banana.
Some walnuts.

It isn't overly sweet and you can leave the raisins or the banana if you so wish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have oatmeal a few mornings a week.
The basic ingredients are
1/2 cup oatmeal
3/4 plain soy milk
1 tbsp ground flax seed
1/8 tsp turmeric
dash of pepper.
then I use a deep ceramic bowl on a plate with a microwave cover to nuke it for 3 minutes. *

Then I add the extras. if nothing else is available two scoops of raisins,
or sliced strawberries or blueberries.
or a banana.
or a tbsp of peanut butter.
Or a tbsp of protein powder.

sometimes I add a tsp 2 tsp of agave or maple syrup.

* I found that the deep dish ceramic bowl is essential to avoid boil overs. the plate and cover are "just in case".

I decided savory is not the way to go for me with oatmeal. I need to have it with a bit of sugar/maple syrup/brown sugar and fruit/nuts. 😊

• Friendly
Reactions: Deleted member 3018