News Russian Sukhoi SU-24 shot down, one pilot rescued

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
A Russian jet pilot who survived being shot down by the Turkish army has been rescued in a dramatic 12-hour military operation.

Captain Konstantin Murahtin was saved by Russian military in an all-night joint operation with Syrian Government forces, and taken to a Russian air base.

His co-pilot Lieutenant Colonel Oleg Peshkov, 52, was confirmed dead, reportedly shot by [...]
More: Surviving Russian pilot says Turkey fired without warning as Putin hits back hard - World - NZ Herald News (26. November 2015)

Do you think the plane was really in Turkish airspace? Do you believe the pilots were really warned? Are we one step away from a war with Russia?

I suppose the political elite in Turkey (because this is not just Erdogan) has decided it's in their strategic interest to not target these islamist groups too much, or even provide tacit support. Perhaps western leaders believe Erdogan's government is the least worse alternative in Turkey, so they don't put too much pressure on him to do much about the issue out of fear it might open the door to worse alternatives?

I have Turkish friends (in Germany) who were shocked and disgusted with his pandering to Conservative Islamic circles.

Turkey had been a modern and liberal country for many decades (I am told) and now they are turning the wheel back to the time before that.