TV & Film Robin Williams dead in possible suicide

das_nut

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Comedic actor Robin Williams died at his Northern California home Monday, law enforcement officials said. Williams was 63.

Coroner investigators suspect "the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia," according to a statement from the Marin County, California, Sheriff's office.

"Robin Williams passed away this morning," his media representative Mara Buxbaum told CNN."

- CNN

:(

I'm actually quite upset over this. He was such a favourite of mine growing up.

I knew he suffered with bipolar disorder for a long time and he had a drug problem when he first started standup. It is heartbreaking. He was an amazing actor, comedian. May he have found the peace he needed.

Reactions: KLS52 and Dedalus
He was also quite a humanitarian from what I heard. I suspect his humor was what go him through his own rough times and helped him cope with his inner sadness. Likewise, he was known for brilliant dramatic performances as well. I think some of the best dramatic actors are those who have been through the highest highs and lowest lows and live to tell the tale. This just reminds me how important it is to remember that no matter what face a person might be wearing, it could be masking deep hurt and we should always be kinder and more understanding to everyone. They might be reaching out for help and it could make all the difference.

What you said reminded me of this, it's just started going around Facebook.
14%2B-%2B1

Russell Brand wrote a great article about this tragedy.

What platitudes then can we fling along with the listless, insufficient wreaths at the stillness that was once so animated and wired, the silence where the laughter was? That fame and accolades are no defence against mental illness and addiction? That we live in a world that has become so negligent of human values that our brightest lights are extinguishing themselves? That we must be more vigilant, more aware, more grateful, more mindful? That we can’t tarnish this tiny slice of awareness that we share on this sphere amidst the infinite blackness with conflict and hate?
That we must reach inward and outward to the light that is inside all of us? That all around us people are suffering behind masks less interesting than the one Robin Williams wore? Do you have time to tune in to Fox News, to cement your angry views to calcify the certain misery?
What I might do is watch Mrs Doubtfire. Or Dead Poets Society or Good Will Hunting and I might be nice to people, mindful today how fragile we all are, how delicate we are, even when fizzing with divine madness that seems like it will never expire.

Russell Brand: Robin Williams’ divine madness will no longer disrupt the sadness of the world | Comment is free | The Guardian

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Robin Williams hanged himself in bedroom with a belt, sheriff says

Actor and comedian Robin Williams committed suicide by hanging himself after first apparently trying to to slash one of his wrists, authorities said Tuesday. Marin County sheriff's Lt. Keith Boyd said Williams hanged himself with a belt in his bedroom, where he was found by his personal assistant shortly before noon on Monday.

Robin Williams hanged himself in bedroom with a belt, sheriff says - LA Times

Sad.

What you said reminded me of this, it's just started going around Facebook.
14%2B-%2B1

This reminds me of a client I used to correspond with at work a few years ago who had a quote in her email signature which read something like "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle." I suspect the original source is about the same.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Russell Brand wrote a great article about this tragedy.

What platitudes then can we fling along with the listless, insufficient wreaths at the stillness that was once so animated and wired, the silence where the laughter was? That fame and accolades are no defence against mental illness and addiction? That we live in a world that has become so negligent of human values that our brightest lights are extinguishing themselves? That we must be more vigilant, more aware, more grateful, more mindful? That we can’t tarnish this tiny slice of awareness that we share on this sphere amidst the infinite blackness with conflict and hate?
That we must reach inward and outward to the light that is inside all of us? That all around us people are suffering behind masks less interesting than the one Robin Williams wore? Do you have time to tune in to Fox News, to cement your angry views to calcify the certain misery?
What I might do is watch Mrs Doubtfire. Or Dead Poets Society or Good Will Hunting and I might be nice to people, mindful today how fragile we all are, how delicate we are, even when fizzing with divine madness that seems like it will never expire.

Russell Brand: Robin Williams’ divine madness will no longer disrupt the sadness of the world | Comment is free | The Guardian

Wow. Those are some intense sentiments in memory of a very intense man.

That's a powerfully written article there.

There is, I think, another reason (to the one described there) why some people become comedians though.

Some are hyper-intelligent and can see the insanity in just about everything that surrounds them with clarity.

Ripping the **** out of just about everything they see is the way they cope.

I'm wondering if Robin Williams was more one of those.

I wondered if one of the reasons that link depression with comedy is that, suffering for so long, they just don't give a **** what people think of them any more, so will take more chances with what they say, and where their thinking goes.

Also they are highly perceptive...Arthur Janov(who I have very mixed feelings about these days) talked about people who are depressed, or mentally ill, being more in touch with their (painful) feelings, which is why they are suffering, but it can also drive someone's mind to have a powerful insight into the world around them.

Reactions: ledboots
Robin Williams hanged himself in bedroom with a belt, sheriff says
That sounds hard. He must have really, really wanted to die. From the little I know about him, he seemed like a nice guy. Too bad. I enjoyed that Dead Poets' Society movie many years ago.