Lifestyle
  1. Other
1 1/2 cups of chickpeas
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp garlic salt
or Tajine seasoning
salt
Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Pat dry with a paper towel. Place in a bowl and add
the olive oil and spices. Toss until they are coated with the mixture.
Place in a shallow baking dish in a single layer.
Roast in a 200°C (400°F) oven for 25 - 30 mins.
Allow to cool and adjust the seasoning with a little more salt and freshly ground pepper.

Optional-You can also add a sprinkle of dried chilli flakes.

I make these on almost a daily basis. I make various combinations of spices.
-Curry chickpeas
-Chili lime flavored chickpeas
-Salt and vinegar chickpeas
-Cinnamon and sugar chickpeas
-Maple chickpeas

You can basically make up any flavor combo you want. These also keep very well for periods of time. I will cook up a bunch, divide them up and put them in baggies in my purse, desk, dresser, etc. They are a great quick go to snack when out and about. They're also a great addition to boring side salads when you find yourself in the situation where you're hungry and the only option is the salad. Just reach into your purse and voila! Instant protein addition to the brown wilted salad nastiness.:up:

Reactions: hungryraccoon
I tried this once. I felt like it took forever for them to get crunchy. I wonder if I saw 200C and thought it was 200F. I'm pretty sure I remember roasting them at the lower temp. I'm going to try it again. When I was growing up they sold them at the Italian feasts/festivals. They were so good.

I roast them at around 300-350F for about 45 mins or less. I also use dry chickpeas that I soak the night before or that morning. Canned chickpeas don't work so well I've noticed. The dry ones get super crunchy and you don't even have to boil them. Just soak for 12 hours or so , drain them, season them and roast them.

I roast them at around 300-350F for about 45 mins or less. I also use dry chickpeas that I soak the night before or that morning. Canned chickpeas don't work so well I've noticed. The dry ones get super crunchy and you don't even have to boil them. Just soak for 12 hours or so , drain them, season them and roast them.
Ahhh...that may be it. Thanks!

Reactions: thefadedone
I am debating between bbq or buffalo wing tonight.
I usually marinate or coat the chickpeas in the sauce and then roast them.

I am debating between bbq or buffalo wing tonight.
I usually marinate or coat the chickpeas in the sauce and then roast them.
I didn't know you could do that! I'm not sure I have any dried chickpeas...I want some now!

I didn't know you could do that! I'm not sure I have any dried chickpeas...I want some now!

Yup. My method if I want them for a late night snack:
Drain presoaked chickpeas. Place chickpeas in a bowl, cover with the sauce of your liking (bbq, wing sauce, maple syrup if a sweet version is desired, spicy mustard, etc.). Toss them around to coat them evenly. Layer on baking sheet. Roast for 45 mins or so . I usually check them half way through and give them a good shuffle around so they cook evenly. Sometimes I will add more sauce if they look like they need more since I like a somewhat thick crunchy coating on them.

ETA: If the oven is too high you might have some runaways. These guys tend to explode and make a mess in your oven or toaster oven. So if you hear some poppin' turn down the heat.

I'm so easily influenced as I saw this thread yesterday and made them for myself last night. :rofl:Olive oil, fajita seasoning, salt and paprika roasted chickpeas washed down with a cold beer. Yum.:lick:

I didn't use as much cumin, and moar chili powder, the dark kind.

I have also just used Mrs. Dash Chili Lime spice and some olive oil. :) I really like roasted chick peas, they make a meal or snack feel "filling." I'm not going to use the oven on this ridiculously hot day even though I am in the mood for some now! :)

I didn't use as much cumin, and moar chili powder, the dark kind.

I have also just used Mrs. Dash Chili Lime spice and some olive oil. :) I really like roasted chick peas, they make a meal or snack feel "filling." I'm not going to use the oven on this ridiculously hot day even though I am in the mood for some now! :)

I'm not keen on cumin and greatly reduce or omit the amount in recipes. I also bought some chill and lime spice at the 99 ct store and love it.:D

Reactions: ledboots