Road trip food ideas

kibbleforlola

Lola Worshiper
Reaction score
For thanksgiving, I'm driving to MD, then turning around the next day and driving to New York State. The first leg I'm going to be driving through the night to avoid holiday traffic, and I'll have Lola with me. Google maps says this trip will take me 6h 15m, but bf said to plan for more like 7:30.

So I need things that will keep me going without having to stop much. I'll probably need to stop at rest areas along the way, but I don't want to stop at fast food or anything because I don't want to leave Lola in the car. I'm already planning on taking granola bars and making some pb sandwiches, and plenty of water. What else should I take?

I personally never travel without Primal Strips. :lick: But you'll probably need something crunchy and sweet - apples are always good, and pears, too. If you want something a little decadent, stores are selling Swedish ginger snaps this time of year, and most of the thin versions are vegan! Safe travels!

Reactions: ledboots
Hummus and veggie sandwiches. I always need more savory/salty things to offset the sweetness of PB, granola, etc.

Also, you can go through drive throughs. The veggie cantina bowl from Taco Bell, minus the cilantro sauce, is vegan and makes a pretty nice road meal.

Reactions: thefadedone
I would take a brown rice or quinoa salad with tofu and vegetables. I also don't like to many sweet things when travelling.

Hummus and veggie sandwiches. I always need more savory/salty things to offset the sweetness of PB, granola, etc.

Also, you can go through drive throughs. The veggie cantina bowl from Taco Bell, minus the cilantro sauce, is vegan and makes a pretty nice road meal.

I thought they put pork in their black beans? :/ Also, I'm not sure what time drive through close on weeknights. I know taco bell stays open until 2 on the weekends, but is it the same for weeknights?

Also, I don't want to eat too much junk, as road trips tend to make me feel bloated and gross. All that sitting doesn't do my belly any favors. I will be hitting up the starbucks next to my house before leaving, though.

I thought they put pork in their black beans? :/ Also, I'm not sure what time drive through close on weeknights. I know taco bell stays open until 2 on the weekends, but is it the same for weeknights?

Also, I don't want to eat too much junk, as road trips tend to make me feel bloated and gross. All that sitting doesn't do my belly any favors. I will be hitting up the starbucks next to my house before leaving, though.

The black beans contain a vegetarian *chicken* flavoring, no pork: http://www.fastfoodingredients.com/2012/07/06/taco-bell-cantina-bell-veggie-bowl/

The veggie cantina bowl consists of rice, black beans, lettuce, a couple of types of salsa, and guacamole. It's a lot less starchy and heavy on the stomach than PB sandwiches or granola bars, IMO, but everyone has their preferences.

The black beans contain a vegetarian *chicken* flavoring, no pork: http://www.fastfoodingredients.com/2012/07/06/taco-bell-cantina-bell-veggie-bowl/

The veggie cantina bowl consists of rice, black beans, lettuce, a couple of types of salsa, and guacamole. It's a lot less starchy and heavy on the stomach than PB sandwiches or granola bars, IMO, but everyone has their preferences.

That's funny, because I noticed that they were selling their black beans in the grocery store, and the ingredients definitely had pork listed. Why would they do that?

I don't know. Maybe they realize that there are few vegetarian options in fast food, so it makes sense to have some in that environment, while a veg*n has other options than Taco Bell while buying groceries, so they are not likely to increase their market share there by making the canned beans vegetarian.

Like shyvas, I would make a quinoa, pasta or rice salad with lots of fresh veggies in it. Various vinaigrettes hold up well while travelling, and these types of salads generally get a bit better with time.

Fresh fruit is also something I would take on a long road trip.

Idk, I don't think I'm coordinated enough to eat a salad while driving. That just seems like a recipe for disaster. :p

Make some bean burritos and hummus wraps ahead of time. This way you can just store them in a little cooler or lunch box and reach for them easily while you are driving. I always carry a baggie filled with roasted chickpeas with me wherever I go for a quick and easy protein packed snack. I also agree with the fresh fruits and veggies. Things like baby carrots, sugar snap peas, and basically any other chopped veggie or fruit.

Some Taco Bells are open later than 2am during the week and some gas stations have a Subway inside that are also 24 hours.

Reactions: kibbleforlola
:p

You'll feel far more alert and have a safer trip, if you stop every 2 hours to stretch your legs and rest.

Nah, I've got enough redbull to keep me going. :p Don't worry, I know my limits. Stopping every two hours would just prolong the trip.

Plus, it'll be dark, cold, and I'll be traveling alone. Stopping would probably be more dangerous.

I honestly think it's in your best interest to stop every so often to stand up and stretch your legs. It's the same advice given to people who go on long plane trips. The danger is in the possibility that prolonged sitting can cause a blood clot in your leg.

Nah, I've got enough redbull to keep me going. :p Don't worry, I know my limits. Stopping every two hours would just prolong the trip.

Plus, it'll be dark, cold, and I'll be traveling alone. Stopping would probably be more dangerous.

The only downside to that is that it will make you have to constantly pee. However, this is where the awful McDonalds come in handy, especially the 24 hour ones (although I think they are all 24 hrs now?) . While travelling I have found that some McD's are actually quicker and safer to go to instead of sketchy isolated truck stops or rest stops. Most McD restaurants have their restrooms somewhat close to an exit door which is usually located on the side of the restaurant. It's easy to get in and out of there and you don't have to worry about running into any questionable characters. Well at least not as many compared to gas stations and other random stops.:D

If you are used to driving long distances and don't have to stop and pee then I think you will be fine just having to stop once. Just be careful, stay alert and know your limit.