Rice

T

thinman

I've been reading recently that we should avoid brown rice coz of the heavy metal, then read instant rice was safest. I never really like brown rice and preferred par-boiled long grain, but nowadays eat mainly white basmati rice.

Reactions: KLS52
Dr. Greger has a plethora of info on rice. I don't eat a lot of rice, so I just consider it a treat when I do.

This thread went off the subject and got into a good discussion on rice.

Here is my 2¢ in that thread.
-----
I read up a little bit on rice yesterday.
The arsenic issue can be mitigated buy not buying brown rice and buying balsamic rice instead. Soaking your rice and rinsing it out well helps a lot. Rinsing after cooking is also advised. And moderating your rice intake.

The carbon issue for rice can be mitigated by buying locally grown rice. This is especially true in California where rice growers already use less water than the global average. The water use is not just bad from a water use viewpoint but also the more water use - the more methane is released into the atmosphere. And moderating your rice intake

----

I've started doing all those things and I have no idea if it's helping but it turns out I like balsamic rice, I like buying Califonia grown rice. And I don't mind soaking or rinsing.

Reactions: Forest Nymph

The arsenic issue can be mitigated buy not buying brown rice and buying balsamic rice instead. Soaking your rice and rinsing it out well helps a lot. Rinsing after cooking is also advised. And moderating your rice intake.

I hope you don't mean soaking the rice in balsamic vinegar? That must be a typo? Did you mean basmati rice?

The arsenic comes from the soil it's grown in, and mostly in the north american south in old cotton fields that were sprayed with arsenic. California is best in US, India, Pakistan, Thailand--all better areas.
I really like Jasmine, and my younger son really eats it too much, We rinse.
I don't like basmati anymore, but when I made it I soaked first--same with brown

They say the best way is to cook like pasta, with a lot of water then drain and rinse. I dislike the taste cooked that way

This is all very silly. You can purchase non-gmo and organic rice, and rise/soak/rinse to remove any traces of heavy metals.

FTR, there's more bioaccumulation in animal products, the further up the "food chain" you eat the more toxins you are consuming. Yet another environmental reason to avoid meat. You can look it up, it's a real scientific concept rather than Ayurveda.

Here is my 2¢ in that thread.
-----
I read up a little bit on rice yesterday.

The carbon issue for rice can be mitigated by buying locally grown rice. This is especially true in California where rice growers already use less water than the global average. The water use is not just bad from a water use viewpoint but also the more water use - the more methane is released into the atmosphere. And moderating your rice intake

----

I've started doing all those things and I have no idea if it's helping but it turns out I like balsamic rice, I like buying Califonia grown rice. And I don't mind soaking or rinsing.

Plus any methane emissions by rice are substantially dwarfed in comparison to any meat or cow's cheese.