Northeast RI: Cilantro Mexican restaurant-vegan friendly

PTree15

Beach bum
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So my mom and I went to this place over the weekend, and it was vegan-friendly, which made me so happy!
It's a build-your-own type of menu. It has rice bowls, salad bowls and burritos. You approach the counter and tell the server what you want and then build it accordingly. The server does all the building.

All the beans are vegetarian and they use dried beans (no canned beans!!) A sign in the place reads that they pride themselves on not owning a freezer or a can opener. :D They soak their beans and then prepare them for the various dishes. They have black beans, kidney beans and refried beans. They have two kinds of rice (cooked in water, lemon juice and cilantro): brown and what looked like jasmine rice. They offer fresh guacamole, pico de gallo, and a hot pepper medley along with mango-infused corn, several types of salsa. For the salads you can get several types of dressings, including balsamic.

I can't tell you how happy I was to learn that no meat is used in preparing the beans. I had a salad bowl (no taco shell or anything like that. It's served in a takeout-type container, like the rectangular kinds that Chinese places often use).

I had romaine lettuce topped with brown rice, refried beans, fresh cilantro, pico de gallo, guacamole, the mango corn and hot peppers. It was delicious and really cheap. My mom had the salad bowl as well, but she had black beans, sour cream and cheese and whatnot. I had a beer and she had a water, and all of that was only 20 bucks! Delicious AND cheap. The guy behind the counter was really helpful and threw in freshly made tortilla chips because it was our first time there. He said the place has been open since June, so it's relatively new. And the chips were made with canola oil, so no lard or anything.

The decor was relaxed, with mostly booth seating and some tables and chairs near the wall/windows. They also have a small bar with TVs and a full wine list. I think they just do beer and wine, though I wasn't sure about that. The TVs had the sound down, and they played pretty good music. I heard the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Coldplay, Santana and Dave Matthews while we were there.

The other cool thing about this place is that they use as many local suppliers as possible. That caters to my green sensibilities. They apparently have several locations; we went to the one in Cranston, R.I., near the Garden City shopping center. I would highly recommend this if you find yourself in need of a quick bite. Beats the heck out of Taco Hell! :D

http://www.cilantromex.com/about

Reactions: ledboots
LOL, Elvis. That's unfortunate, though, CG. I am finding more places every day. KLS just told me in another thread about a diner that has a vegan section on the menu that is only a 45-minute drive from my home. Not too bad. I may try out this Sunday.