Residents Told Not to Worry About Crying Cows

I've heard that sound. There was a cow calling her young in a field near me a few years ago. It's now quite that they are crying, but calling; it is a soft(as well as loud) sound of a worried mother, and I suppose in nature it would entice the calf to make its way to her.

"We’ve been informed that the cows are not in distress and that the noises are a normal part of farming practices.”

:bang:

If you took a human baby away from its mother shortly after birth and then told everyone that the mother was not in distress, not only would nobody believe you, but you'd be arrested for a crime. But when they're just dairy cows, it's considered "normal".

Mother cows are separated from calves shortly after they are born so calves don’t drink their mothers’ milk. The calves are placed in small hutches until they are old enough to roam with other young cows, according to several dairy farm websites.

I am slightly curious ...

Once they have placed the calves in small hutches to stop them drinking cow milk - WTF are they feeding them on????

The clue is probably in the hutches.

Something along the lines of secret battery farms of wet-nurse rabbits.

I really don't understand how these people can still continue on eating and drinking dairy products after hearing those cries. :(

:(
I really don't understand how these people can still continue on eating and drinking dairy products after hearing those cries. :(

Same here and they really don't give a hoot.
Just another topic where I get that compassion fatigue and feel all is hopeless.

This really breaks my heart. I remember being at a vegan camp, somewhere in the middle of nowhere many years ago and hearing this for the first time. We were in a valley and the screams of one cow just bellowed and bellowed. I asked one of my friends what was up and he said that they'd taken her baby away. It was so traumatic, I was horrified... it lasted a long time.

I've witnessed the same, time and time again in the countryside around here where I live and feel so powerless. Recently I passed a calf crying out in one field, communicating with his mother in a field across the road. Even though I've not eaten animal products for 20 years and do whatever I can to help put the word out, I felt so powerless. Those screams rang in my head for days! All I could think was how removed people are from the sentient nature of all animals!