Regarding grains, seeds and nuts

gonegreengirl

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegan newbie
I have read that this food group should be strictly portioned because they are fattening, however they are a rich source of nutrients such as iron and omega-3.

What does 1 serving look like?

I have served my breakfast of oats with a tablespoon each of ground hemp and chia seeds.

And occasionally for lunch/ snacking I will I have nuts such as almonds, walnuts and/or brazil nuts, no more than a small fistful.

EDIT: forgot to add I have a toasted slice with peanut butter spread for breakfast too 🤭

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC
@gonegreengirl , that sounds exactly right.

A lot of us here use Dr. Gregars guidelines. But some use Fuhrman's, Campblell's, McDouglals or Esselstien's (sp). And there are others.
Most of the guidelines recommend about the same portions. but grains seem to be where the recommendations differ. At least one serving of grains a day seems to be the minimum. I think three might be the maximum. Although to be honest, I regularly go over three.
Seeds about a tablespoon or two. Same with nuts.

This is a link to my favorite guide. I have mine laminated and hung on the frig with a dry erase marker. There is also an app you can use.

this page is a little more detailed

Reactions: Blues and Emma JC
I have read that this food group should be strictly portioned because they are fattening, however they are a rich source of nutrients such as iron and omega-3.

What does 1 serving look like?

I have served my breakfast of oats with a tablespoon each of ground hemp and chia seeds.

And occasionally for lunch/ snacking I will I have nuts such as almonds, walnuts and/or brazil nuts, no more than a small fistful.

If you are in a high risk category or are overweight then the portion size is important and Dr Esselstyn recommends trying to stay away from them or being very cautious. Due to your age you are unlikely to be in the high risk category so if it is weight that you are concerned about then limit them as well as oils and other fatty foods. Your current habits sound reasonable.

Welcome to the forum!!

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

If you are in a high risk category or are overweight then the portion size is important and Dr Esselstyn recommends trying to stay away from them or being very cautious. Due to your age you are unlikely to be in the high risk category so if it is weight that you are concerned about then limit them as well as oils and other fatty foods. Your current habits sound reasonable.

Welcome to the forum!!

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
Dr Esselstyn recommends limiting nuts, and seeds, mostly for those with weight or cardio issues--not grains!
Both Esselstyn and Dr Greger recommend no oils, while Esselstyn is more strict with limiting fats in general, Greger advocates for fat from whole plant food.

I'm a big fan of Dr Gregers way of eating, and while I now struggle to stay disciplined, I can vouch to feeling really great when I did follow his daily dozen, avoiding all else!

You can put the app on you phone, android or apple, to check off as you go

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
@gonegreengirl , that sounds exactly right.

A lot of us here use Dr. Gregars guidelines. But some use Fuhrman's, Campblell's, McDouglals or Esselstien's (sp). And there are others.
Most of the guidelines recommend about the same portions. but grains seem to be where the recommendations differ. At least one serving of grains a day seems to be the minimum. I think three might be the maximum. Although to be honest, I regularly go over three.
Seeds about a tablespoon or two. Same with nuts.

This is a link to my favorite guide. I have mine laminated and hung on the frig with a dry erase marker. There is also an app you can use.

this page is a little more detailed

I also have a laminated poster of the daily dozen chart stuck to my bedroom door, I just wasn't so sure what one serving was exactly.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Dr Esselstyn recommends limiting nuts, and seeds, mostly for those with weight or cardio issues--not grains!
Both Esselstyn and Dr Greger recommend no oils, while Esselstyn is more strict with limiting fats in general, Greger advocates for fat from whole plant food.

I'm a big fan of Dr Gregers way of eating, and while I now struggle to stay disciplined, I can vouch to feeling really great when I did follow his daily dozen, avoiding all else!

You can put the app on you phone, android or apple, to check off as you go
So I had a look at the daily dozen chart and I realise now that I lumped grains in with seeds and nuts, so this topic is a lot clearer to me now haha

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC