Reframing

Forest Nymph

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Reframing is something I started to embrace with the help of Philosophical Taoism and David Lynch in my early 30s. From a Myers Briggs perspective, I would be an adult ISFP embracing their tertiary Ni.

If that all sounds like gobble degook, like it once sounded to me in my twenties, it's seeing the same real event from a different perspective.

Like my great aunts creepy old Georgian mansion made me a lover of architecture, it doesn't oppress me in any way.

My grandmother's death and the witness of my grandpa's grief isn't trauma, it may be why I am vegan and highly sensitive to suffering because my grandpa was a quiet man who had to be "read" like nonhuman animals.

Dancing with my grandpa's crazy angry last wife was a gift, I knew an empowered woman from an earlier generation who danced with me and showed me History.

Therapists try to teach this to people. I'm relearning it to reframe my idea of myself and success. I've recently learned I am exactly the same person I was in my teens, and denying it now would probably be harmful even if it seems eccentric. I've never felt so close to my younger self as I do now.

Reframing comes very easy to some people. They usually say things like they don't know who they are, don't know how they feel, or they take all sides equally. Theyre excellent at comforting people and reducing conflict. But they often don't know how to protect themselves or how to take a stand for a moral (like veganism).

I feel like I have been put here to carry the past onward. I grew up with grandparents and older relatives. I adore old architecture and understand history. I even grew up in a way that intensified the past: in a rural state twenty years behind the times, in a log cabin on a dirt road with no cable and old furniture, and an aunt with an eye for robber baron husbands. My grandpa controlled what I read until age 15 so it was all old, and even my dad was ten years older than my mom, and a musician, so I got older music. I was given this weird childhood in order to transport history, I know that now.

But I was also given a deep love of environmental conservation. I went out on a date with a guy in LA who said, "you preserve things, that's who you are."

YET isn't it funny I'm a vegan, the most threatening voice of the future? A complete cancellation of the past.

So how do I reframe my gift. To preserve the past but open doors for the future. How do I do this without opening a classic vegan burger joint in an historical building without a million dollars, how do I reframe these two things to figure out what to do with the rest of my life.

• Friendly
Reactions: Second Summer
I probably don't understand what you're saying. But in the spirit of "it's better to try":

Reframing sounds a bit like trying see the positives no matter what. I think that is definitely a powerful approach, as long as we allow ourselves to feel sad or angry as well at times. An event/incident can be both positive and negative. A primarily negative event can provide perspective/experience that can be valuable and impossible or very hard to obtain otherwise.

How do I do this without opening a classic vegan burger joint in an historical building without a million dollars, how do I reframe these two things to figure out what to do with the rest of my life.
Is that your dream for the future? I'm not sure I fully understand your question (if it is a question!), but I suppose the future should be some kind of mix of the best from the past and the best new ideas like veganism. Do you have any talent for art? Sometimes art can inspire people by providing visions for the future. For example, through science fiction literature, comics/graphic novels, music or films (cartoons/animation or live action).