Red vs white poppies for Remembrance Day

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
More people than ever before are wearing white poppies, says the group which makes them.

But they are also controversial - earlier this week, Tory MP Johnny Mercer called white poppies "attention seeking rubbish".
More:
White poppy: How is it different from the red remembrance symbol? (25. Oct. 2018)

What are your thoughts on this? To remember only the members of the armed forces or to remember all who died in war and "never again"? Which poppy best symbolises that? Have warmongering politicians co-opted the red poppy?

I always wear a red poppy. :yes: I have heard of the white poppy but have never actually seen anyone wearing one. I was under the impression that the white signifies remembering all of those who died during the war.

I would also like to start wearing a purple poppy in remembrance to all of the animals who died during the war. I will buy one next year as it is now to late to order one.

It's a shame that certain see controversy everywhere. The most important factor is too at least wear a poppy in remembrance, regardless of it's colour.

I was sad to have read that the oldest poppy seller (103 yrs) died in August. I remember her lovely smile and how she dedicated a lot of her spare time by selling poppies. Such a wonderful lady.:smitten:

Purple Paw Badge : Animal Aid Shop

Last edited:
I feel sorry for the soldiers who are killed and injured, and for their families. At the same time, I don't think it's charity (like the services provided by the RBL) these people need, it's justice. The soldiers went to fight for their country out of duty, got injured physically and/or psychologically or killed, so now the country has a duty to them and their families to help them heal or cope with the loss.

The other thing is that the vast majority of casualties in modern warfare are civilians. Also, I feel like the 'never again' aspect of remembrance is terribly neglected. Let's face it, the world wars were a colossal waste of human lives, animal lives, talent, time, money ... How can we prevent this from happening again?

So, if I were to wear a poppy, it would be white.

Reactions: Andy_T
It's a shame that certain see controversy everywhere. The most important factor is too at least wear a poppy in remembrance, regardless of it's colour.
This.

I would wear either color if someone was handing them out.

Then why not make a red and white poppy and solve the problem. It’s bordering on absurdity, how someone can just decide to stir up controversy about something.

This.

I would wear either color if someone was handing them out.

Then why not make a red and white poppy and solve the problem. It’s bordering on absurdity, how someone can just decide to stir up controversy about something.

This gentleman also has angered many people due to his remarks which are extreme. He has freedom of speech thanks
to all of those who gave their lives for it :

''Senior Labour figures have called for a far-left journalist dubbed Jeremy Corbyn's 'attack dog' to be thrown
out of the party after he condemned the Poppy Appeal as 'racist'. ''

Corbyn 'attack dog' sparks fury with vile comments about poppies and Royal British Legion | Daily Mail Online