Literature Reading Bucket List.

Muggle

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Inspired by Digger's bucket list thread.

So 25 books or less that you want to read before you die. (I think 25 is a good limit, if it's too few then say... )

Mine:

1. First Wizarding War (James, Lily, Lupin, Sirius etc) Harry Potter prequel. I know JK Rowling has said that she won't write one but I'm hoping she will change her mind before I die. :p
  2. Wide Sargasso Sea - Jean Rhys
  3. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - Anne Brontë
  4. Middlemarch - George Elliot
  5. The Mabinogion
  6. Catch-22 - Joseph Heller (I actually started reading it last week. I need to get back to it. )
  7. The Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
  8. Tess Of The D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
  9. The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
  10. Moby-Dick - Herman Melville
  11. Mrs Dalloway - Virginia Woolf
  12. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
  13. Of Mice And Men - John Steinbeck
  14. Dune - Frank Herbert
  15. The Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer
  16. Beowulf: the Monsters and the Critics - J.R.R. Tolkien
  17. The History of Middle-earth - J.R.R. Tolkien. (OK, this is technically 12 books but whatever)
  18. The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún - J.R.R. Tolkien
  19. The Kalevala
  20. Beowulf
:D

I can't think of much. Most of the books I want to read, I've read, and if I haven't they probably don't appeal to me. But I do want to read:

1. Anna Karenina
2. Watership Down
3. Jane Austen
4. The Canterbury Tales (I can't find a good prose translation)
5. Any Dickens book. I really struggle with them, don't like his writing at all.
6. Little Women

If I think of more, I will add them :)

Edit: Already thought of one :D

7. 1984

Reactions: Muggle
Oh, yeah. I want to read Anna Karenina as well. And War and Peace. I'd forgotten about those.

Most of the ones on my list I've wanted to read for ages but haven't been able to justify buying a copy of them (and the library is a no-no, I don't have the time anymore to read within time limits :cry: ). I've managed to get most on my kindle but again it's the time issue. :(

I struggle with Dickens as well. I've given up with him. I might attempt something of his again one day but it won't be any time soon.

Which Jane Austen book do you want to read? Or do you want to read all of them? Persuasion is my favourite :D

I don't really have a list as there are so many many books out there... though here are a couple

The Silmarillion

Tale of Two Cities.... only because my mother said I should .. a long long time ago

Stephen King's more recent books

I can recommend some of the books on your lists. :D

Any really. It just feels like I should be able to say I'd read a Jane Austen. I will try Persuasion :D

Persuasion is also one of the shortest ones :D (I think Northanger Abbey might be a bit shorter but I don't like it. )

Catch-22 - Joseph Heller (I actually started reading it last week. I need to get back to it. )

Yeah, this one is coming off the list. According to my kindle I am 13% through it. I can't get on with it. It's impossible!

I might consider reading some Charles Dickens as well.

I think I've read Oliver Twist, but that was a long time ago, think I was in middle school.