News Rabbi Predicts Jewish Exodus - France

I saw someone saying on the news that they thought it was 10% of Jewish people that were going to leave, or who wanted to leave France.

BBC News - Paris attacks: UK police 'concerned' for Jewish community Some of the Jewish people living here are worried too. I have a Jewish school and supermarket in the borough near to where I live as it is a very multicultural area. I remember reading in the paper a few years ago that a person who worked at the school said that Jewish children sometimes have people shouting insults to them on the street. I don't know if I was being naive but I was really shocked as I had no idea that some people were still that openly anti-Semitic.

ETA I just saw this.:mad: CCTV emerges of man spraying 'despicable' anti-Semitic graffiti on east London signs - Crime - News - London Evening Standard

The Jews are everyone's favorite villain. In difficult times (and even in good times), the Jews are usually the biggest scapegoat for everyone else to dump on, although here in the US, it's now the Muslims. But many people here who hate the Muslims also hate the Jews.

They may indeed face a danger from the jihadist wannabes, but I think Israel is more likely to actually be overrun by them than France.
Neither are very likely, though Israel is probably the one they would like to attack the most.

France has the largest Muslim population in Europe, as well as the largest Jewish population. With the current political climate, that spells trouble, but one would think it would take a lot for a person to pack up and leave the country where one was born and raised.

As for Israel, I can see the appeal of living in a country where your people are the majority, but I struggle to understand in particular why secular or non-orthodox European or American Jews would want to live there, considering the political situation.

I heard that Israel regards every exodus of Jews from their homeland to Israel as "a fresh infusion of strength".

Bad news for Jews outside of Israel is good news for Israel, basicaly.

Neither are very likely, though Israel is probably the one they would like to attack the most.

France has the largest Muslim population in Europe, as well as the largest Jewish population. With the current political climate, that spells trouble, but one would think it would take a lot for a person to pack up and leave the country where one was born and raised.

As for Israel, I can see the appeal of living in a country where your people are the majority, but I struggle to understand in particular why secular or non-orthodox European or American Jews would want to live there, considering the political situation.
I think that some Jews probably feel that while living in any other country besides Israel they could easily be scapegoated or thrown under the bus to save the non-Jews. Like in history.

I sincerely hope that they are wrong.

While both the attacks on the magazine and on the supermarket were horrible incidents (as were the killing of up to 2000 muslims by Boko Haram in Africa last week and the reported killing of 5-10 people in Niger during protests against Charlie Hebdo's latest cover on this weekend) , people of every religion should be safe in most European countries.

Perception, of course, is something different.

Best regards,
Andy