Questions for experienced vegans

Whirlygig

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Sorry if this exists somewhere else, people. Will take it down if it does.

I'm a guy who's trying to transition to a full vegan diet. My questions for the community:

1. There are products out there that say 'Vegan' on the front, but an inspection of the ingredients reveals that 'this product may contain traces of...' (i.e. egg, milk, etc.). Should I eat it?

2. People say that vegans should (or 'have to') eat a lot of nuts. Why? I'm really not big on nuts.

3. I've heard that taking in too much soy (i.e. milk, tofu, anything) can also have health-adverse effects. Is that true?

Hope you can help.

- Whirlygig :cool:

There are products out there that say 'Vegan' on the front, but an inspection of the ingredients reveals that 'this product may contain traces of...' (i.e. egg, milk, etc.). Should I eat it?
Try to avoid it but it is not terrible if you can’t. It’s similar to a vegan meal in a restaurant where they can’t guarantee that the chopping board hasn’t been used for a non-vegan meal.
People say that vegans should (or 'have to') eat a lot of nuts. Why? I'm really not big on nuts.
Nuts = protein but there are plenty of other sources. There are many recipes with nuts. You might like them better if they are cooked instead of raw.
I've heard that taking in too much soy (i.e. milk, tofu, anything) can also have health-adverse effects. Is that true?
Everything is bad for you if you are too excessive with it. The solution is to make your diet as varied as you possibly can. And it’s much more fun that way.

Welcome, and the best of luck to you,

Roger.

1. There are products out there that say 'Vegan' on the front, but an inspection of the ingredients reveals that 'this product may contain traces of...' (i.e. egg, milk, etc.). Should I eat it?

2. People say that vegans should (or 'have to') eat a lot of nuts. Why? I'm really not big on nuts.

3. I've heard that taking in too much soy (i.e. milk, tofu, anything) can also have health-adverse effects. Is that true?

Hope you can help.

- Whirlygig :cool:

1. Yes. "May contain traces" means a tiny amount. Eat it. Unless you personally are repulsed by it, then don't.

2. There are many good reasons to eat nuts on a vegan diet, three of the most important are:
A - one is to get healthy fats. If you decide to eat little or no nuts on a vegan diet, then you are on a very low fat diet. Do some research to check if it might be too low, or get other fatty plant foods. There are not many to chose from. Avocado is one and is perhaps worth considering on a vegan diet without nuts.
B - almonds are high in calcium, and a vegan diet can be low in calcium. If you want to avoid almonds though, just get some other sources of calcium.
C - walnuts are a good source of Omega 3, which otherwise is low on a vegan diet. However chia and flax seeds also have Omega 3 in even better ratios.

In short nuts: you don't have to eat nuts but if you don't check you are getting enough overall fat, calcium and Omega 3.