Question-Vegan Chinese (Ginger Garlic Broccoli)

vegan89

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I was watching this cooking video on YouTube... the guy makes this yummy looking Chinese-American food popular in malls called Ginger Garlic Broccoli or something like that.

He says he puts in a "fresh chili" and cuts up what looks something like a Jalapeno pepper or something, but he doesn't specify what type of pepper. Do you think I could use a Jalapeno in this recipe even though it isn't a Chinese pepper?

Or should I use something else to fill that ingredient requirement in the recipe?

I wouldn't care for a fresh jalepano myself, but I'm not fond of them to begin with!
I keep a bag of the fresh small red chilis I find at Asian stores in the freezer. Thai bird chilis maybe--not sure.
If I liked jalepanos I would use them!

I also always have the rooster chili garlic paste. When I get Thai take out I ask for hot chili oil. When anyone in my house gets pizza I tell them to ask for red pepper flakes.
Got carried away....

Reactions: Lou
For those with a Trader Joes, the best riff of Chinese mall food is Trader Joes Soyaki :laughing:

Reactions: Lou
But so what specific pepper type is he talking about when he says "fresh chili"? He says it shortly after 1:05 in the video.

I watched the video and that IS a red chili. I believe that it is a Mexican product but it is commonly used in Chinese food in America. Maybe a more authentic chili would be to use a Thai chili pepper. but I doubt it would make any difference.

If you can't find any fresh red chili peppers at the store -- stores have jars of either chili paste or chili sauce.

BTW, I liked the video and gave it a thumbs up and subscribed to the guys feed.

omg, is this Ask Adam from TV??!!

I watched the video and that IS a red chili. I believe that it is a Mexican product but it is commonly used in Chinese food in America. Maybe a more authentic chili would be to use a Thai chili pepper. but I doubt it would make any difference.

If you can't find any fresh red chili peppers at the store -- stores have jars of either chili paste or chili sauce.
When I look up chili peppers on Wikipedia, it seems to list many cultivars/types: jalapeno, habanero, cayenne, etc. I take it any of these could be called a "fresh chili" and used in this recipe?

I have no idea. Many chilis I find in Asian stores aren't even specified.
I use Sambal or chili garlic sauce for most everything if I don't have the small red peppers

1656032185679.png

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I was watching this cooking video on YouTube... the guy makes this yummy looking Chinese-American food popular in malls called Ginger Garlic Broccoli or something like that.

He says he puts in a "fresh chili" and cuts up what looks something like a Jalapeno pepper or something, but he doesn't specify what type of pepper. Do you think I could use a Jalapeno in this recipe even though it isn't a Chinese pepper?

Or should I use something else to fill that ingredient requirement in the recipe?

You don't have to follow a recipe to the letter. There are 4000 different types of chilli peppers but they don't contain the same amount levels of capsaicin, which give heat to a dish. Use whatever chilli pepper (they are interchangeable) you have available or substitute with chilli pepper flakes.

I do NOT find chilis interchangable! A fresh jalepano or serrano tastes way different to me than say a Thai bird chili. The way the heat affects me is totally different too, with the typical Mexican peppers being very targeted in the burning of tissue, while hot Thai peppers give an overall heat