Question(s) about E-mail Addresses on Websites

Joe

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I am thinking of putting up a webpage for a non-profit group I belong to. My HTML skills are quite limited. The page will be really simple, no frills.

My question is: I've heard that I should not put a "regular" e-mail address on a website, because all sorts of spammers and scammers have programs that scour the internet and harvest any e-mail addresses that are found. How true is this? How big a danger does this represent?

If it represents a significant danger, what is prudent to do instead? I lack the skills to put up one of those "contact" box thingies. I was just thinking of setting up a Gmail address that would forward e-mails to the real e-mail address of the woman who would be handling the e-mail for the organization. I'd let the tools in the Gmail account help cope with the spam and such, and in a worst case scenario just abandon the Gmail account if it gets overwhelmed by spam.

But is there a better way to go about this?

Tell me what you think, please.

I have two webpages. When I first set the original one up I wrote my email address as a clickable link and was spammed beyond belief. Next time I updated the site I simply wrote it contactme @ thisemail.com etc and still got a fair bit of spam. Now I have it written one one of my sites like this contactme(at)thisemail(dot)com and dont get as much spam. The other one I uploaded my details as a jpeg image so i could use a non standard font and havent had any spam at all (yet)

I was going to suggest a jpeg.
Like this:
Untitled.png

I think it wouldn't be too hard for spammers to program to detect [at], and [dot]....Don't know if they have bothered yet.

Im not big on HTML and stuff so I cant really say. But the jpeg thing would work. Although unsure if it would put people real people off contacting if it wasnt something that they can just click etc

I have two webpages. When I first set the original one up I wrote my email address as a clickable link and was spammed beyond belief. Next time I updated the site I simply wrote it contactme @ thisemail.com etc and still got a fair bit of spam. Now I have it written one one of my sites like this contactme(at)thisemail(dot)com and dont get as much spam. The other one I uploaded my details as a jpeg image so i could use a non standard font and havent had any spam at all (yet)

Thanks, Alice-Bee. These are excellent points. I particularly like the JPEG idea, and I would combine it with the contactme(at)thisemail(dot)com format.

I was going to suggest a jpeg.
Like this:
View attachment 1902

I think it wouldn't be too hard for spammers to program to detect [at], and [dot]....Don't know if they have bothered yet.

I would actually probably use a GIF, simply because I have an old freeware utility called Text-to-Gif that does a good job in making these sorts of things.
Until I read Alice-Bee's post and was reminded of it.