Animal Advocacy Python Cordon bleu?

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
If you live in Florida or just read a lot of Hiassen, you probably know that Florida has a python problem.

It turns out that people buy baby pythons to have as pets and when they get too big they just dump them in a park or something. Now there are maybe 100,000 pythons living in the everglades. they are decimating native wildlife populations by either eating the animals or by competing with larger animals for food.

BTW, pythons are not native to Florida.

In Florida, you can apply for a python hunting permit and even get a reward for killing a python. Python Bounty Hunters!

Scientists are now testing pythons to see if they are safe for human consumption. If so you might be able to someday go out to a restaurant or store and get to eat some python.

Is this an ethical issue for vegans? The killing of pythons can be seen as serving the greater good. Wasting meat serves no purpose. But then if we condone the eating of pythons would it be wrong for Australians to serve feral cat? (Australia has millions of feral cats that are a threat to native wildlife).

then there is Foer's argument that we should chop up feral cats and dogs and turn them into pet food. (I'm pretty sure that was just satirical - reminiscent of Swift's solution to the "Irish Problem"). But he makes a good arugment.

-----

I really hate comparing eating dogs and cats to people because I don't discount the idea as catching on.
Look at all the ideas that have been thought disgusting or absurd that are now commonly marketed

Veganism and animal rights aside, the idea of eating carnivorous animals still doesn't seem so appetising in particular because environmental pollutants accumulate higher up in the food chain.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou and shyvas
Veganism and animal rights aside, the idea of eating carnivorous animals still doesn't seem so appetising in particular because environmental pollutants accumulate higher up in the food chain.
That's exactly what they are researching in Florida. Mercury levels are being evaluated on like 5000 pythons.
So what if they are safe?

I just find this thought to be interesting and curious.

That's exactly what they are researching in Florida. Mercury levels are being evaluated on like 5000 pythons.
So what if they are safe?

I just find this thought to be interesting and curious.
They might be found to be "safe", but the interpretation of "safe" varies and the principle of pollutant accumulation still applies. Also, Mercury is only one such pollutant.

Eww eating snakes just isn't appealing at all even if I did eat flesh! Though of course there are lots of people who like "exotic" meat, so I am sure there would be some folks who would try it! Gator meat is fairly popular down here I think so why not python?