Putting bread and other things in the freezer

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
I noticed that in the freezer draw that I put my bread in, which also had some lollipops in, the lollipops had thawed out and refrozen. This, I guess, will have been from the energy from the room temperature bread going in there all over and over.
I thought that if lollipops could thaw out from that, there might be a health danger for other foods around bread and other things being put in. Giving bacteria a chance to multiply in the thawed state.

It came to my mind and I thought I'd start a thread to bore people with it.

100_0368.jpg

Here is one of the unfortunate lollies.

Last edited:
Reactions: kazyeeqen
well, it might have been several loves over a few weeks, melting a little each time.

I think quite a lot of energy could leave a loaf of bread over the temperature range from 18c to 0c.

You wouldn't notice with a lot of foods. I suppose it was the direct contact. I took the lollies out of the box to save space, and the bread went on top. That the lollies are mainly water means that the thawing process is more evident. A solid food might just thaw and refreeze, and wouldn't change shape.
Anyway, I only noticed it when I came to thaw the freezer and took the lollies out, so probably quite a few bread changes, so it is probably accumulative.

Luckily we're vegetarians, so even if something thawed it probably wouldn't be able to grow enough to hurt us in the brief time it had. Probably even true of meat, but still; luckily we're vegetarians, for all the reasons.

Reactions: Everleigh
When I google lollies it says candy, confections...I'm confused as to why candy would go in the freezer. I'm obviously missing something, lol. I can't tell what the photo is. Help! :)

When I google lollies it says candy, confections...I'm confused as to why candy would go in the freezer. I'm obviously missing something, lol. I can't tell what the photo is. Help! :)

It is ice lolly pops. Just flavoured, coloured, and sweetened water frozen in a shape. I'm sure you have them in the US by some other name.

Reactions: KLS52
Luckily we're vegetarians, so even if something thawed it probably wouldn't be able to grow enough to hurt us in the brief time it had. Probably even true of meat, but still; luckily we're vegetarians, for all the reasons.
Thanks for mentioning that.I buy the sprouted bread from my grocery sometimes and I don't think my grocery takes care of it right because it's always suppose to remain frozen but the crusts seem to stay hard even when it's toasted.So it thawed and then got refrozen again for that to happen I think.I wish the place knew how to take care of it better because I had been worried about buying it.