News Put down veggie burgers-Cows can solve the climate crisis

5 Ways That Drinking Milk Can Improve Your Health

Did you know that cattle ranching not only uses unsustainable amounts of land and is one of the main contributors to manmade climate change, but it also uses an obscene amount of water that can exacerbate droughts, and take water away needed for crops, drinking water, and for fish to survive in rivers or streams? The cattle farms in northern and central CA have adversely affected the salmon runs.

Reactions: Vegan Dogs
Excellent point. Always check sources.

Most people don't. That's why I tend to get annoyed with people who either don't have a background in science or who haven't studied science in many years because unfortunately in the US it's not just standard procedure to teach high school kids how to properly identify a scientific study. So you have a bunch of adults walking around that don't check the size or parameters of the study, who funded the study, whether or not there are multiple peer reviewed sources or a meta-study, and even linking to the study itself instead of just casually skimming how the media article frames the information.

An example I like to give is a small study done at Carnegie Mellon several years ago, where they claimed eating meat could be more sustainable environmentally than eating vegetables. However, it was a very small study, and the parameters of the study were to compare *get this* raw meat to lettuce. The study in and of itself was fairly dishonest - most people don't eat raw meat, nor do vegetarians and vegans live off of lettuce. The story got traction in the media where people just gladly accepted the derpy headlines that announced in a generalized way that meat could be more sustainable than eating vegetables. The actual scientists at Carnegie Mellon later issued a formal apology, but the damage had already been done by mainstream media.

Another example that is common is conservative think tanks twisting results that make it appear as though there was greater sea ice at x date in the present, than on y date in a past in an attempt to "debunk" climate change. This was actually used as an example in one of my science classes as an undergrad. The conservative think tank in one case had misused a graph in a dishonest way, showing a brief moment where Arctic sea ice was approximately the same or slightly higher than one specific year in the past. Of course, the amount of sea ice went back down after that tiny blip and when the evidence was examined honestly and holistically over time, it was essentially a blatant lie.

UC Davis is the animal ag school. Pretty much everyone in CA knows that, I'm not sure why Lou didn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian W
Also some people who aren't really paying attention presume CNN is a reputable news source. It is, basically, the liberal Fox News. Neither CNN nor Fox are serious or reliable sources of information concerning important issues like science. I attended protests against CNN back in 2016. Younger people and people who worked on the Bernie Sanders campaign at some point tend to recognize this. Sometimes older people or centrist liberals presume that only right wingers dislike CNN, when in fact, it's really only a step up from Fox. I'm not saying CNN is equal to Fox, but it's not significantly better.

I do sometimes read CNN but then I look for the same news article in other publications. I tend to try to hunt down a source like Scientific American, Stat news, or the Guardian - which are also kind of, hmmm, I guess they're still less academic? But they're still more reliable than CNN. I also tend to look for articles in National Geographic, Phys.org, or on the BBC, which I consider to be probably the most reliable or "serious" non-academic mainstream news sources.

Of course, at the end of the day, Google Scholar helps find academic peer reviewed articles on any given topic, if you happen to question an article about a study you saw in the mainstream media.

Reactions: Brian W
Owl like to rest quietly whilst no one was watching.

The lost spectacles were his own affair!

" I don’t want to play the blame game, but you know, we should be also learning about the perils of eating stuff that had a face on it. The ridiculous reliance on flesh-eating, which is so prevalent. I am not a strict vegetarian or a vegan, but most of what I eat probably comes under the vegan classification, just because I like that stuff. " Ian Anderson, April 2020
Link: Social Distancing With Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson: Face Masks, Farming and Friendship

Ian Anderson stopped his fish farming in 2002, due to concerns about intensive fish farming and the environment: Thick As A Brick: Ian Anderson Talks Jethro Tull, Salmon, and a Sequel 40 Years in the Making

Ian Anderson's Guide to Indian Food: Ian Anderson's Guide to Choosing Indian Food - Jethro Tull

1599418817690.png

Last edited:
You need to lighten up, your filling your mind with crazy thoughts and scenarios.

I have a post-graduate level of education and my background is in environmental science. I went to one of the best environmental science schools in the US, and arguably the best enviro sci "state school" in the nation. You need to get over yourself.

Congrats on your education.

Well I mean you seem to be trying to refute it or deny it, trolling a thread about climate change with bull crap about milk used in Ayurveda beliefs. Typically that's only something someone does when they have some kind of financial or personal stake in cattle ranching...unless, of course, they're just a meat troll, "flexitarian."

lol.gif

My apologies, my train of thought was elsewhere when I posted about Ayurvedic diet/medicine. Not that I'm into such, I know better now, thanks.