UK Pub Drinks-Buying non-vegan beer for my mates?

Would you buy a round of beer for your non-vegan friends?

• No - I wouldn't buy the round but wouldn't stop them buying me one :p

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

steve_the_kiwi

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hey guys,

I've frequently at the pub with mates. Especially in the lead up to Christmas. I get mocked enough already as a vegan - especially when I get out barnivore to double check that my beer is vegan. It's all usually bearable and I think I've started to chip away at the conscience of a couple of my mates, so not all bad.

However when its my turn to buy a round I really do not feel comfortable buying non-vegan beers. But I don't want to be rude, since it IS my round.

I can only see two real options. One is to go solo and just buy my own beer. That has social consequences in and of itself - setting me apart (although a minor issue compared to the animal exploitation involved!). Or agree to buy the beers only if they are vegan friendly (which never goes down well). I'm currently doing the former.

I'm curious to know what others think and would do in this scenario...

This is an interesting question.
The simple answer is that you should only buy vegan beers (period).

However there is another concern. And dealing with it is going to be part personal decision and part based on the circumstances.

As a vegan you are an animal rights activist. and one of the ways you promote veganism to others is by providing others with a good example of a good vegan.
One of my favorite tenets is that you should take every opportunity to befriend and to teach. So buying a round of vegan beers seems like a good way to do both.

Once you have determined with Barnivore that you can buy suitable vegan beers for all your friends - you should do so - and maybe make it a teaching opportunity. Maybe proposing a toast to all the animals that were not harmed by the making of this beer. Or to saving the earth - one beer at a time!

However spending 20 minutes on your smart phone and Barnivore to create your order could be counter productive. You don't want to give others the impression that being vegan is too hard or too complicated. Or that vegans are too picky or a little crazy.

If the places serves pitchers, than that is the easiest and best solution. Buy a pitcher of whatever vegan beer is on tap. Of if you and the Same friend go to the Same bar all the time, you should be able to figure out what vegan alternatives are palatable to your beer drinking buddies.

I guess it also depends on your friends and how discerning they are. I see you are in London, I've never been there but from books and movies I think there are London beer drinkers who don't care what kind of beer they drink and others who care a lot.

• Friendly
Reactions: Andy_T and Emma JC
Oops, sorry. I didn't realize this was a U.K. thread...

Almost all beer in the U.S. is vegan.

Of course, some may add non vegan adjuncts, but most of the time it will be crystal clear. E.g. stout brewed with lactose, or even bacon beer.

I haven't heard of a modern brewer using cow stomach lining or gelatin to filter their beer in many decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou
Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

The issue isn't sourcing vegan beer. That is easy.

The issue is that when you order a round at the UK pub you ask each person at the table the beer they want. I, as the one buying the round, don't get to chose what others order. So if three of my mates say "I want beer X" and beer X isn't vegan I will have to refuse them. Which will make them angry - especially if they have already brought me a round.

It's a complicated one, but at this point going solo is probably my safest bet.

Do they sell pitchers? Buy a pitcher of Beer Y when you first walk in. then you've done your part and its up to them.

Or buy a round of pints of Y's. If they are anything like American beer drinkers - it won't go to waste.

🍺🍻🥴

Unfortunately no. At least not that I'm aware of.

Although now that you mention it, I don't think there is any harm in asking.

To be honest, I could just tell the barman to put beer X in a glass used for beer Y and I doubt my friends would notice the difference. Goodness knows I probably wouldn't after a couple :p