Music PSY music video

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Gagnam Style has more views than any video of any kind on Youtube. As one who doesn't understand music videos, could anyone explain why it's so great?

Gagnam Style has more views than any video of any kind on Youtube. As one who doesn't understand music videos, could anyone explain why it's so great?

I think it's funny as hell! That's why it caught on.

I think most of those views are curiosity clicks. People wanting to see what everyone else was talking about. At least in my circle of friends and family, they weren't impressed and have no interest in going back to watch it again beyond the original view to see what it was. I just find it annoying.

I'm sure some of those views were friends and family, watching it over and over again to get the number up.

Having a dance based on (mock) riding a horse is just silly beyond belief.

The Gangnam district is an upper-class, snobby area, somewhat like our Beverly Hills 90210. That PSY manages to lampoon this lifestyle in the song makes it even more clever and funny IMO.

I find the dancing absolutely terrible. I admit I'm ignorant about music videos, but watching it I thought it was a big joke. PSY had no recognition before the video, so that makes the 2,000,000,000 views even more of a shock. I am one of the last people who could recognize a good music video, so I probably shouldn't be saying much here.

As they say, what is 'good' is subjective, but there are thousands of much better videos out there. Many, many thousands...

I think of Psy as a one-hit wonder. Yes, a lot of the clicks are simply for curiosity, and because it's silly, people enjoy it for its silliness. I don't think most of the people who've watched the video and enjoy anything about it take it really seriously. It's like the Macarena. It was very popular a decade and a half ago, but who listens to that now or still does the dance?

I never was a fan of Michael Jackson's Thriller video either. Videos tend to look very sloppy to me, like a bunch of scenes put together. I enjoy some music but I generally pass when it comes to the video. Even for my favorite singers I've missed many of their music videos.

I like a lot of music videos, especially the clever ones, and sometimes I just like to ogle the long hair rock stars of the 70's and 80's. :p

Reactions: KLS52 and Amy SF
Honestly I get a little irritated with some of the inane stuff like this that garners so much attention. But then again - this is coming from someone who is a musician and has made their own videos - neither of which get jack - **** for hits. I think last time I checked - I had less than 100 for two of them. I did do one video tribute to Kurt Vonnegut that is somewhere in the 3k range but that's been out there for years and years. The videos themselves wouldn't win any awards but the ******* songs are good.

But that is how these things work. I have witnessed amazing bands that should be signed; the world is missing out on some great music - but these bands won't get signed because they haven't the right combination of connections, timing, marketing and luck. You need all of them.

Honestly I get a little irritated with some of the inane stuff like this that garners so much attention. But then again - this is coming from someone who is a musician and has made their own videos - neither of which get jack - **** for hits. I think last time I checked - I had less than 100 for two of them. I did do one video tribute to Kurt Vonnegut that is somewhere in the 3k range but that's been out there for years and years. The videos themselves wouldn't win any awards but the ****ing songs are good.

But that is how these things work. I have witnessed amazing bands that should be signed; the world is missing out on some great music - but these bands won't get signed because they haven't the right combination of connections, timing, marketing and luck. You need all of them.

Please post the URLs to your videos. I'd like to see them. If you are uncomfortable posting them publicly, please PM me and send along the URLs that way.

Thanks. :)