News Primary school forced to change ‘cow’s milk or water’ Rule.

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Primary school forced to change ‘cow’s milk or water’ rule after vegan dad fights discriminatory policy

It took this family 9 months of complaints and finally they had to ask for assistance from the Vegan Society before their child was allowed to bring soya milk to school.

Wow. Considering that milk allergies are common, schools should allow students to bring healthy alternatives.

That is really incredible! Both my son and granddaughter (had)have a metabolic disorder that makes digesting certain proteins impossible(in fact dangerous to their health) so they had to have a special formula. This was never an issue with child care centers or schools for them to provide their own beverage.

Reactions: Emma JC and David3
We sometimes make fun of US society for their somewhat low threshold for bringing lawsuits, but in cases like these I wish it was easier to do here in the UK. The fear of a lawsuit could make schools think twice about upholding discriminatory and idiotic rules.

Reactions: Amy SF
We sometimes make fun of US society for their somewhat low threshold for bringing lawsuits, but in cases like these I wish it was easier to do here in the UK. The fear of a lawsuit could make schools think twice about upholding discriminatory and idiotic rules.

It did happen in the UK.

Solihull is a large historic market town and administrative centre in Warwickshire, England

It did happen in the UK.

Solihull is a large historic market town and administrative centre in Warwickshire, England
Yes, but believe it or not, there was no lawsuit.

Over here primary school children aren't allowed to bring lunch boxes. Some children suffer with food allergies or are vegetarian and it does pose a problem for working parents.
Viva la France! :fp:

you'd think juice would be an option too, milk or water seems too limiting even for omnis.
people are drinking less milk in general, more people are starting to prefer non-dairy alternatives.

Reactions: Amy SF and Emma JC
It was in middle school but my mom used to bring me BK for school lunch sometimes when I asked for it. They had no issue with outside food.

It was in middle school but my mom used to bring me BK for school lunch sometimes when I asked for it. They had no issue with outside food.
Well when I was in school we walked to school. Uphill. both ways.

but lunch boxes and brown paper bags were the norm.

Up until grade 6 I went home everyday, too. Had lunch in the "den" and watched Gumby on TV.

And in grade 6, my mom gave me $2 and I went out to lunch on Fridays. A hamburger and a coke at the corner coffee shop was around 1.75. that left me a quarter for baseball cards Some of my friends did that, too. It must have been some sort of neighborhood tradition.

In middle school, it was too far to walk home. so 4 days a week I ate in the cafeteria. Brought my lunch in a brown paper bag. on sunny Fridays days I went to the coffee shop.

I think I would get a carton of milk at lunch at the cafeteria. I think it cost a Nickel.

Reactions: Emma JC and David3
Up until grade 6 I went home everyday, too. Had lunch in the "den" and watched Gumby on TV.

And in grade 6, my mom gave me $2 and I went out to lunch on Fridays. A hamburger and a coke at the corner coffee shop was around 1.75. that left me a quarter for baseball cards Some of my friends did that, too. It must have been some sort of neighborhood tradition.

In middle school, it was too far to walk home. so 4 days a week I ate in the cafeteria. Brought my lunch in a brown paper bag. on sunny Fridays days I went to the coffee shop.

I think I would get a carton of milk at lunch at the cafeteria. I think it cost a Nickel.
Gumby had a brief resurgence in popularity when I was in high school, maybe 1986 or so.

Reactions: Emma JC
I owned them both when I was a child and I think I bought Gumby a few years ago, just not sure where he is. We didn't have a TV at home so I didn't get to watch them.

Emma JC

Hmm, so did I. I also remember when we got our first TV. You must be old like me. lol

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC
Well, we certainly drove this thread off the road.

S till I wonder how come the kids at this school can't bring their own food.

Well, we certainly drove this thread off the road.

S till I wonder how come the kids at this school can't bring their own food.

Because many of the parents were probably sending very unhealthy food.

I watched one of those Jamie Oliver "take over the lunchroom" British documentaries. The parents, and grandparents, arrived at the school with bags of BK, McDonalds, and other fast food, then fed burgers and fries through the fence to obese children.

One parent arrived to protest Jamie Oliver's lunch program with a newborn baby in a sling, that was drinking Pepsi out of a baby bottle.

Most of the schools usually provided meat free alternatives for children that didn't eat meat for religious or spiritual reasons.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lou