Pret a Manger in trouble after allergy deaths

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
First it emerged that 15-year-old Natasha Ednan-Laperouse had died after suffering a severe allergic reaction to a Pret sandwich bought at Heathrow in July 2016. Days after the coroner had told the company he feared others might die if it did not change its processes, scandal hit again. It emerged that a second customer, 42-year-old Celia Marsh, had died last December after eating a super-veg rainbow flatbread containing a yoghurt that was supposed to be dairy-free but was not.
More: Pret a Manger: from high street darling to industry bogeyman (12. Oct. 2018)

Edit: I bought lunch at Pret at Gatwick just yesterday ...

I prefer M&S simply food at Gatwick.
I know there's an M&S outside the security by Arrivals where I've been many times. Is there one on the inside as well?

Pret just has a good selection, even hot food, and it's clearly labelled with 'vegan' stickers!

Reactions: Val
I know there's an M&S outside the security by Arrivals where I've been many times. Is there one on the inside as well?

Pret just has a good selection, even hot food, and it's clearly labelled with 'vegan' stickers!

Unfortunately all the M&S's are situated on the arrivals/departures and not after security. I even saw one at CDG in Paris when I flew in from Los Angeles. What a shame as I was in transit and would have picked up lots of food to take back with me.

Unfortunately all the M&S's are situated on the arrivals/departures and not after security.
OK, well, I've never been very happy with what I've found in that M&S, actually! Is there anything there you'd recommend for a quick bite? I'm probably going to have to shop there on the way back tonight.

OK, well, I've never been very happy with what I've found in that M&S, actually! Is there anything there you'd recommend for a quick bite? I'm probably going to have to shop there on the way back tonight.

I gather that you're arriving at South terminal. The M&S at North is hidden in a corner at arrivals and seems a bit smaller.

They are both open 24 and always seem to have the shelves laden with lots of different choices. They have salads (quinoa or giant couscous) , sandwiches, hummus,olives, marinated peppers, crisps, nuts, prepared vegetables and fruit so choice for a light snack should not prove to be difficult. However, they don't serve hot sandwiches or soups like Pret.

o.jpg

Reactions: Second Summer
I will still eat at Pret as they have a really good vegan range.

I can't ever find vegan food at M&S for some reason, I've been in the Simply Food branches a few times and walked out without buying anything. Starbucks is really rubbish as well, the ones I've been to, usually I've been around the Liverpool Street/Whitechapel area and they never have anything there either.

I ended up with carrot-and-pumpkin seed bites (reminiscent of falafel, but healthier) with cannelloni bean paste (a bit like hummus) from M&S. The annoying thing to me with this M&S (maybe with M&S in general?) is that they have several ready-to-eat meals that really could have been vegan, but they have small bits of dairy or honey that makes them un-vegan.

I noticed there was also a Costa there with just a few vegan options.

I will still eat at Pret as they have a really good vegan range.

I can't ever find vegan food at M&S for some reason, I've been in the Simply Food branches a few times and walked out without buying anything. Starbucks is really rubbish as well, the ones I've been to, usually I've been around the Liverpool Street/Whitechapel area and they never have anything there either.

They have come up with a new vegan range; Plant Kitchen :

Marks & Spencer launches vegan range filled with 60 brand new meals, snacks and ingredients