Pregnant and vegan

amber_ll

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi guys,

i've been vegan for over 8 years now, and am now pregnant, just wondering if there are any others here with experience on having a vegan pregnancy. I'm taking vegan friendly pregnancy supplements to get enough folic acid etc.
Just want to hear about your experiences. Also, i'm not going to mention anything to the health care provider as its a bit misunderstood here in Chile and I don't have the patience to listen to their meat and dairy focused recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

I've never been pregnant, but Alicia Silverstone has been vegan, has had one child and written several books on veganism.

The Kind Mama is her book on pregnancy. and the Kind Life is her vegan blog.

Also sometimes pregnant vegans go back to being vegetarian when PG. One reason often cited is the cravings. Natalie Portman stopped being vegan when pregnant. cause of cookies.

Also sometimes pregnant vegans go back to being vegetarian when PG. One reason often cited is the cravings.

With the caveat that I know nothing about pregnancy, I'd remind the OP that there isn't a single nutrient in animal products that can't be obtained from a healthier, non-animal source. I believe in listening to your body, but if it's telling you to eat a cheeseburger then you should tell it to shut the hell up. Well, not really. You should still listen to your body. But it may be speaking the language of carnism to tell you to get more iron or protein etc. Translate to veganism and don't give in to the cravings.

But, if you do slip up, anyone who judges you is a jerk.

Reactions: Lou
Just make you increase iron rich foods to avoid anemia! Other than that it will be safe and extremely better off for you and your baby. Congratulations!!

With the caveat that I know nothing about pregnancy, I'd remind the OP that there isn't a single nutrient in animal products that can't be obtained from a healthier, non-animal source. I believe in listening to your body, but if it's telling you to eat a cheeseburger then you should tell it to shut the hell up. Well, not really. You should still listen to your body. But it may be speaking the language of carnism to tell you to get more iron or protein etc. Translate to veganism and don't give in to the cravings.

But, if you do slip up, anyone who judges you is a jerk.

Natalie Portman didn't stop being vegans for cheeseburgers. It was cookies. She explained in her writings than when out and about there weren't always vegan cookies within easy reach. :)

although that was a few years back. I was on a road trip last week and stopped at one of the food marts at a gas station. And they had Lenny and Larry's. So now its probably easier to find vegan cookies.

I'm 7 months pregnant now and have been eating a plant-based diet for 3 years now. We used to have the occasional cheese here or there, but we've gone completely vegan for the last year. It's been great. I feel healthy and know I'm getting the right nutrients to my baby. I am supplementing with DHA, a multivitamin with folate, and iron pills. In the second trimester, I had low blood pressure. We eat a pretty low salt diet, but during pregnancy, you need to make sure you're getting enough salt. Other than that it's been smooth sailing being vegan and pregnant for me!

We're in a good hypnobirthing class right now, but yesterday in class our instructor went over nutrition. The amount of misinformation was painful. The handout literally encouraged pregnant mothers to eat ice cream, cream cheese, yogurt, chicken, red meat, eggs etc. It didn't list a single non-animal product for a source of protein. I guess I should have expected this, but it was pretty depressing to see how much animal products are pushed and to see how people accept these recommendations without giving them a second thought. We still have a long way to go to get the correct info out to healthcare providers and people in general.

Welcome to the forum VeggieMonster and good on you for the good you are doing for yourself, your baby and your family - to say nothing of the animals and the planet!

You are correct, it is so discouraging to see health care "experts" giving out bad information and yet the tiding is turning very gradually and we can only hope that some day soon a turning point will be reached.

Emma JC

We eat a pretty low salt diet, but during pregnancy, you need to make sure you're getting enough salt.

Great going VM! If i remember right its not just the salt you need but the iodine in the iodized salt. Depending on where you live iodine may not be found in plants (i.e. plants grown far from the ocean). And some countries don't use iodized salt.

Oh, wait. I just noticed you are in Seattle. You probably have nothing to worry about. I just brought this up because in the UK they have had some issues with moms and babies not getting enough iodine (they don't have iodized salt in the UK).

Bienvenida! Wow, Chile! I would love to visit that country one day. I'm going to introduce myself shortly but also vegan and pregnant here!

Hello and welcome! I've never been pregnant either but I"ve read that pregnancy on a vegan diet isn't just ok it's actually quite good for you. Just be wary of iron and maybe take a supplement.

I guess I should have expected this, but it was pretty depressing to see how much animal products are pushed and to see how people accept these recommendations without giving them a second thought. We still have a long way to go to get the correct info out to healthcare providers and people in general.
It's all about $$$ and the subsidies to animal ag. Did you say anything? I would have handed it back to them and told him it was damaging information and not relevant to me. *grrr* :(

Hi all,

Apologies if this isn’t the best thread to post on but has anyone had problems trying to get pregnant? I’ve been vegan for about 8 months now and absolutely nothing has happened despite our best efforts. I’m starting to feel like it will never happen. Any advice would be gratefully received xx

Not at all sure how they could be related. IMO

Maybe a visit with a medical professional for testing would be best.

Wishing you the best!

Emma JC