Prefixes and Thread Titles

Rosie1

I don't know what to put here.
Reaction score
I know we have a way to do prefixes when we are posting about vegan/vegetarian recipes.

My question: is there a way to have a general set of prefixes for all over the board? For example, when people start threads in the Debate area, and if the thread is geared toward U.S., Canada, Australia, whatever....you can pick the prefix.

I know people can just type it in, in the title themselves, but I'm sure people would forget (or at least I know I would).

Just a thought. :hide:

I've added some two-letter country code prefixes for the Current Events & Debate forum and for the Frugality forum. (Not going to create country codes for every country in the world tho!) People can use these country codes if you like as an etiquette thing, but you don't have to use them if you think for whatever reason the thread doesn't need it. And everyone can of course post in those threads, they don't have to live in the specific country to post there. (Maybe I should put this into a sticky thread ...)

Reactions: Rosie1
I would like to add a disclaimer here and now if I may...please feel free to fix any thread I start if I don't put it in the right place. I was feeling really comfortable here but now I am getting a little nervous that I might do something "wrong" and it might offend or annoy other members.

When I come to VV it is always with the simplest and best intention. I usually blame my lack of technological skill on my age and I know that isn't really fair as there are many people my age who adapt very well to new things. I'm proud that I do as well as I do, but there are still many things I just don't "get" and I know this can be frustrating for others. I'm still having a problem navigating through the forums because I don't always know what forum a particular thread is in. For example, it took me 10 minutes to find the "post your nature photos" thread because I didn't think to look in Arts and Crafts. :oops:

Anyway, being a long-term veggie member, I think I should get a free pass when it comes to stuff like this. :p

I would like to add a disclaimer here and now if I may...please feel free to fix any thread I start if I don't put it in the right place. I was feeling really comfortable here but now I am getting a little nervous that I might do something "wrong" and it might offend or annoy other members.

When I come to VV it is always with the simplest and best intention. I usually blame my lack of technological skill on my age and I know that isn't really fair as there are many people my age who adapt very well to new things. I'm proud that I do as well as I do, but there are still many things I just don't "get" and I know this can be frustrating for others. I'm still having a problem navigating through the forums because I don't always know what forum a particular thread is in. For example, it took me 10 minutes to find the "post your nature photos" thread because I didn't think to look in Arts and Crafts. :oops:

Anyway, being a long-term veggie member, I think I should get a free pass when it comes to stuff like this. :p

That is the last thing that any of the members of staff would want you to feel. Nobody is perfect and I my-self am not a comptuer whiz neither. There are plenty of mods who will correct posts in the wrong place. Don't worry you're not getting marked !!!
Continue to feel free and post willingly.:up:

This is exactly how I feel as well. I am also so confused!
Another question: when I write a review do I put it in the review section or the US section? I wanted to write a review on some vegan health and beauty products but I have no idea where to put it.:???:

Nobody could ever be annoyed with KLS or thefadedone, they are just too nice :p

If I want to talk about a product that I know is only available here, I put it on our UK products thread. After all, why would someone from Australia or Texas be interested in what I think about ASDA's meat free sausage mix? But if I wanted to write a proper review in the review section I would put something like "ASDA's Meat Free Sausage Mix (UK Only)".

But that's just what I would do :)

This is exactly how I feel as well. I am also so confused!
Another question: when I write a review do I put it in the review section or the US section? I wanted to write a review on some vegan health and beauty products but I have no idea where to put it.:???:

We need one of these thinks me.;)

SwitzerlandFlag.gif

To be totally honest, I'm not sure! :bag:

Well, it should not go in the review section, because as of 2 minutes ago I have decided that the review section (i.e. the Vegetarian Directory) is only for business listings and reviews. (I've renamed the link from the forum structure. The link from the top menu still says "Vegetarian Directory". They are the same thing, in case you were unsure.)

It seems like a shame to "hide" a perfectly good and interesting discussion about a product that would interest many in the US section far down on the page. On the other hand, the Brits already do this for UK products, and they're very happy about that solution. Often tho, US products are also available in Canada, so it could be argued the review needs to go in a section both would look at, i.e. the Vegetarian forum or the Vegan forum.

Me too. It just took me ten minutes to figure out how to put my location on my profile. I usually only comment on threads instead of starting my own, and to be honest, I'm pretty upset and embarrassed about this. :(

Oh dear. I think people from the US are now feeling like we've all been having secret UK only discussions about how annoying they are and how we hate hearing about US affairs. This is NOT the case! Of course most of the world has followed at least some of the recent election, since it affects most other countries in some way. People from outside the US have been commenting on those threads and discussing them, clearly we're not all rolling our eyes and gnashing our teeth.

*Most* people seem to want clearer titling so that we don't click on threads about yummy veg*n products that we can't get, or nice deals that we can't get. That is certainly my issue. *I* would also like a little bit of context with US debate threads, for example if a person is mentioned that isn't high profile then perhaps just a line explaining who they are: "Joe Bloggs (a popular US baseball player for those who don't know) has just said in an interview that athletes should never be vegan" or something like that. If I was writing about a UK story, I would give a little bit of context. Obviously when talking about Obama that would not be necessary.

I think the anon posting has made it worse, it gives the impression people have been resentful for some time and only feel able to say something anonymously. I think it would help if people would post openly, perhaps here, and re-assure the US members of the board that we aren't annoyed at hearing about the US or reading their posts, we just want to be more able to participate in threads and not to keep seeing gorgeous things like Teese and Daiya that we can't have :p

Maybe people DO feel annoyed at the US in general, I certainly don't speak for everyone, but I feel that as the person who originally bought it up (publically and I hope, not snarkily) I should be the first to apologise if I've made anyone feel uncomfortable and not able to post on the board. That was never my intention.

Plus, one of my best friends is American!!11

Reactions: thefadedone
*Most* people seem to want clearer titling so that we don't click on threads about yummy veg*n products that we can't get, or nice deals that we can't get. That is certainly my issue. *I* would also like a little bit of context with US debate threads, for example if a person is mentioned that isn't high profile then perhaps just a line explaining who they are: "Joe Bloggs (a popular US baseball player for those who don't know) has just said in an interview that athletes should never be vegan" or something like that. If I was writing about a UK story, I would give a little bit of context. Obviously when talking about Obama that would not be necessary.

:yes: On some forums the mods fix the thread titles so they are more easily understandable but it would be better if the people starting the threads thought about the range of people reading it and ensured the subject was made clear.:)

If people think a thread/subforum is in the wrong location, please bring it to the attention of the staff! You can report the thread, and include a message, PM a Super Mod, or post about it in the Feedback Wanted thread http://forum.veggieviews.com/threads/feedback-wanted-on-the-forum-structure.6/. Or start a thread in this forum! The staff is here to help, and if they agree that a thread might be better off in another location, they'll move it.

Also, the search here works quite well. Just type a few words of the title in the search bar, and you'll be able to find the thread.

I personally really like the country prefixes, and hope people will see them as being helpful and not divisive. I'm all for clearer thread titles, and I think a little prefix when something is country-specific is a quick and easy way to mark threads as such.

Oh dear. I think people from the US are now feeling like we've all been having secret UK only discussions about how annoying they are and how we hate hearing about US affairs. This is NOT the case! Of course most of the world has followed at least some of the recent election, since it affects most other countries in some way. People from outside the US have been commenting on those threads and discussing them, clearly we're not all rolling our eyes and gnashing our teeth.

I think the anon posting has made it worse, it gives the impression people have been resentful for some time and only feel able to say something anonymously. I think it would help if people would post openly, perhaps here, and re-assure the US members of the board that we aren't annoyed at hearing about the US or reading their posts, we just want to be more able to participate in threads and not to keep seeing gorgeous things like Teese and Daiya that we can't have :p

Maybe people DO feel annoyed at the US in general, I certainly don't speak for everyone, but I feel that as the person who originally bought it up (publically and I hope, not snarkily) I should be the first to apologise if I've made anyone feel uncomfortable and not able to post on the board. That was never my intention.

Plus, one of my best friends is American!!11

Hee, I'm in the U.S. and I get annoyed hearing about it sometimes (some of it makes me :fp: so much!)