Power causes brain damage

Mischief

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Subjects under the influence of power, he found in studies spanning two decades, acted as if they had suffered a traumatic brain injury—becoming more impulsive, less risk-aware, and, crucially, less adept at seeing things from other people’s point of view.

Sukhvinder Obhi, a neuroscientist at McMaster University, in Ontario, recently described something similar. Unlike Keltner, who studies behaviors, Obhi studies brains. And when he put the heads of the powerful and the not-so-powerful under a transcranial-magnetic-stimulation machine, he found that power, in fact, impairs a specific neural process, “mirroring,” that may be a cornerstone of empathy. Which gives a neurological basis to what Keltner has termed the “power paradox”: Once we have power, we lose some of the capacities we needed to gain it in the first place.

That loss in capacity has been demonstrated in various creative ways. A 2006 study asked participants to draw the letter E on their forehead for others to view—a task that requires seeing yourself from an observer’s vantage point. Those feeling powerful were three times more likely to draw the Ethe right way to themselves—and backwards to everyone else....

Power Causes Brain Damage

This article is a fascinating read, especially in light of the current trumpian world and also the powerful men self destructing through their sexual habits.

I've noticed with a number of prime ministers and presidents that after they resign their views and positions seem to become more emphatic. I'm not sure if it's just the wisdom gained by old age (which obviously doesn't happen for everyone), or that once they're liberated from their former positions they are freer to express their real, true views. Or whether perhaps it's the reverse process of what is described in the OP. (Please forgive me for not having read the article yet ...)

I've noticed with a number of prime ministers and presidents that after they resign their views and positions seem to become more emphatic. I'm not sure if it's just the wisdom gained by old age (which obviously doesn't happen for everyone), or that once they're liberated from their former positions they are freer to express their real, true views. Or whether perhaps it's the reverse process of what is described in the OP. (Please forgive me for not having read the article yet ...)
W Bush? :rolleyes:. I kinda love hearing him speak now, as well as his daughters! Seems hard to remember how much I disliked him...

Stereotypes are done for a reason. It's no surprise to me that people are drawn to careers by there personality traits and tendencies. the power just emphasises what's already there

I love his scotty dog!
He's made some very pertinent comments directed towards Trump that surprised me

As someone who as experienced abuse and severe bullying, I could tell you this. Power and abuse in the work place is another issue. People even in this smaller positions of power will laden out abuse. And living in California, a fire at will state and no union, many employees have no recourse.