Potato pancakes

T

thinman

You can simple grate some potato, add salt and fry on medium heat, takes about 3 mins each side or till golden brown, don't try and cook too quick and don't flip too soon. You can also add very fine grated onion or chopped chives and a tablespoon of flour, salt to taste.

You can add flax seed egg substitute if you like, 1 spoon of ground flax to 3 spoons of water, mix and let sit in your fridge for 15 minutes to set up and thicken.

I make these with either cooked chopped leek ( the white part) or some finely chopped shallots. I always squeeze any liquid out of the grated potatoes before adding the leeks/shallots. I never use eggs or substitutes as the potatoes are very starchy and bind well.

Lemon flavoured plant based sour cream pairs well with the pancakes. :)

I keep the potato water and especially when using fine grated onion you'll need the flour, traditionally (Polish or German) an egg is added. They are usually grated on the side of a grater that looks like holes punched through.

FLM2GVK64S6WBDMWAJ4VIU3A6Q.jpg

Reactions: PTree15
There are many different ways of making them. I just chop the shallots or leeks finely and the mixture doesn't contain much moisture.

Lovely pic. :)

I want to make those now! I do shred the potatoes and onions, and add flour with some baking powder and pepper, till it's thick, and put mounds of the mix in the skillet and flatten. I tried baking, but so much better sauteed in some oil. I used to have an old electric fry skillet just for this

There are many different ways of making them. I just chop the shallots or leeks finely and the mixture doesn't contain much moisture.

Lovely pic. :)
Indeed, there are. I like to chop up onions and I use a little matzo meal. They are great with vegan sausages and a little apple sauce.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
Indeed, there are. I like to chop up onions and I use a little matzo meal. They are great with vegan sausages and a little apple sauce.

I've never seen Matzo meal over here. I love any kind of vegan bangers but my favourite ones are Sainsbury's caramelised onion. I also like sour cream with potato pancakes.

• Informative
I've never seen Matzo meal over here. I love any kind of vegan bangers but my favourite ones are Sainsbury's caramelised onion. I also like sour cream with potato pancakes.
I want to make some maple-flavored breakfast-type sausages at some point, which I think would go nicely with the potato pancakes. I'd have to skip the sour cream, though. Never have been a fan. :D

I want to make some maple-flavored breakfast-type sausages at some point, which I think would go nicely with the potato pancakes. I'd have to skip the sour cream, though. Never have been a fan. :D

They would be very tasty and easy to make. I'd use maple flavouring, onion powder plus some smoked paprika or chipotle seasoning.

Apple sauce for me!
My son made the vegetarian Morningstar links and I wanted them! I have silicone link molds I've only used a couple times that work great. I should make breakfast!

That's a bummer. It makes a good sub for breadcrumbs when I can't find vegan breadcrumbs. I use a bit less of matzo meal because it's denser than breadcrumbs.

That's a bummer. It makes a good sub for breadcrumbs when I can't find vegan breadcrumbs. I use a bit less of matzo meal because it's denser than breadcrumbs.

Oh, I see. I just make my own breadcrumbs. Bread in Europe doesn't usually contain milk and eggs.....neither sugar. :p

Oh, I see. I just make my own breadcrumbs. Bread in Europe doesn't usually contain milk and eggs.....neither sugar. :p
As it should be! ;) It seems a lot of breadcrumbs around these parts have milk in them, which is frustrating. I could make my own breadcrumbs, but I'm lazy sometimes. :D

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas