Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've added two new reactions:
  • Friendly: ♥ (neutral)
  • Informative: ℹ (gives +1 points)
I might add a few more reactions at a later point.

(I've also tweaked the reactions a bit - they're now all emojis - the effect is that they're a little bit smaller in size, but also easier to manage/modify.)

why is friendly neutral?
I'm not sure I have a particularly good answer. My thinking is that points should be reserved for posts that we feel somehow contribute to the topic/thread or to the board in general. On the other hand, the 'friendly' reaction is a bit like a virtual hug, or at least that is how it's been used on VV, and it's typically used in chat threads. Maybe you had a bad day at work/school and you need to vent a bit. Your GF sent your favourite beer bottles to recycling, your dog ate your homework, the admin closed your favourite thread. OK, that sucks, I'll give you this virtual heart as a sign that I've read your post and I feel your pain. I wouldn't want to either discourage or encourage these kinds of posts. They're a natural part of conversations, and we don't need or deserve points for them.

A suggestion: imho, wow (astonished face) should get a point too. I use it when I'm particularly impressed or amazed. It's better than "like" to me.

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52
I've added yet another post reaction: Disagree. It's the big red cross mark next to the green check mark.

(Unfortunately, when hovering over the various reaction options, the "tool tips" / hints just display the name of the emoji, not the name of the reaction. I'll see what I can do about that at some point when I have a spare minute ...)

No, it's currently configured to be neutral. Maybe it really ought to be a -1 point?

(Sorry, I had missed your post before.)
Booo...why does it have to be so negative? I think neutral is fine. 🙂

• Haha
Reactions: shyvas
Is it because it might have a passive aggressive connotation to it? I think it doesn’t have to be. I mean if someone says brussel sprouts are the greatest vegetable I might want to say I disagree. I do like brussel sprouts by the way. Maybe just have it be a minus 1 in the debate forums?

Is it because it might have a passive aggressive connotation to it? I think it doesn’t have to be. I mean if someone says brussel sprouts are the greatest vegetable I might want to say I disagree. I do like brussel sprouts by the way. Maybe just have it be a minus 1 in the debate forums?

I don't see 'disagree' as being passive aggressive as it's clear as water. :D

No, it's currently configured to be neutral. Maybe it really ought to be a -1 point?

(Sorry, I had missed your post before.)

IMO, it should remain neutral. I was just asking. Making it negative has the potential of pissing people off, and unintentionally silencing those with unpopular (but not dangerous) opinions.

People with dangerous opinions should be dealt with in other ways...

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
I can't even understand why we have points. I just looked at mine trying to work it all out.:???:

• Agree
Reactions: Amy SF